slow cooker dinner for 4 adults!!

DH just called and said two more will be joining us for dinner. Does anyone have and slow cooker ideas I could use for dinner tonight?

lmt_mom2010

Asked by lmt_mom2010 at 12:40 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Vegetable Stew with Cornmeal Dumplings
    3 cups peeled butternut or acorn squash cut into 1/2-inch cubes
    2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
    2 14-1/2-ounce cans diced tomatoes, undrained
    1 15-ounce can Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained or 1.5 cups home cooked; any bean will do
    1 cup water or vegetable broth
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning, crushed
    1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour (I use whole wheat pastry flour)
    1/3 cup cornmeal
    2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast (lots of B vitamins and a nice cheesy flavor)
    1 tablespoon snipped fresh parsley
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 egg or egg replacer
    2 tablespoons milk (plant or animal)
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 9-ounce package frozen Italian green beans or frozen cut green beans (I hate green beans, so I use frozen chopped spinach)
    Paprika

Answer by rkoloms at 9:34 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Roast Beef. Potatoes and Veggies cook with the roast!!! Which means you have one pot, one full meal.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:46 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• mmmm, short ribs! braise them and cook them dry in the crock pot for a hour, then add in your favorite bbq sauce and cook on low for like 6 hours. it's yummy. some mac and cheese and a veggie and you're good to go!
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 12:41 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• A whole chicken, a 28oz can of chopped tomatoes, a tbsp each of dry basil and oregano, a chopped onion, 2 chopped carrots and if you like them 1/2 a pound of mushrooms, chopped finely... If you only have 4 hours left, put it on high, if you have 8 hours do it on low. In the last 15 minutes, toss in a bag of broad noodles, or cook them separately and butter them before serving the stew over top.

The chicken will fall apart almost completely, if you're feeling dedicated and keen, you can pull out the bones before serving it.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:45 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I made buffet style sirloin steak sandwiches the other day they were good. http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1712,133176-247194,00.html

A soup in the crockpot is always good too. :-) or a beef roast
    MamaSarah1104

Answer by MamaSarah1104 at 12:46 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I have a couple of bomb-diggity slow cooker recipes. Two cans of black beans and two cans of chili beans. If you drain and rinse the beans (I do, that purple juice in the black beans really freaks me out) add a half a can of chicken broth. 2 bay leaves, garlic, dried minced onion, oregano, tony's, black, white and cayenne pepper. Cover it in 3-4 slices of bacon. Cover, set to lo and let it do it's thing for like 5 hours.
    Chop up a green bell pepper and a rib or two of celery and toss it in. Slice and brown some smoked sausage and toss it in. Cook another hour. Serve over brown or white rice. (when I make white rice I add tony's to the water to it's a little spicy and orangey.) Have a bottle of white wine vinegar on the table with one of those liquor pour spouts in it, some people (like me) like to add a dash or two right before they eat it.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 12:51 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• lemon pork chops, pan fry them with salt and pepper in veg oil so the outside is brown, then layer them with stewed tomatos and lemon slices. cook for 4-6 hours until they are tender. serve over rice.....they are SO GOOD.
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 12:55 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I will have to try the pork chop recipe.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 1:43 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• In a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker, combine squash, mushrooms, undrained tomatoes, Great Northern beans, the water, garlic, Italian seasoning, and pepper. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.
    For dumplings: In a medium bowl, stir together flour, cornmeal, Parmesan cheese, parsley, baking powder, and salt. In a small bowl, whisk together egg, milk, and oil. Add to the flour mixture; stir with a fork just until combined. If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting. Stir frozen green beans into stew. Drop the dumpling dough into six mounds on top of the stew. Sprinkle with paprika. Cover and cook for 50 minutes more. (Do not lift lid while dumplings are cooking.)

Answer by rkoloms at 9:35 PM on Aug. 23, 2010