Soooo apparently I need to let my 4YEAR OLD DAUGHTER listen to 2Pac because he was a positive role model and she needs to learn about her culture....???? Really?

Okay, I am African American and SO is Japanese. Our daughter (who is actually from a previous marriage) is biracial (AA and caucasian). Today, my SO informs me that he feels we need to let her listen to 2pac and other rappers because hip hop is an important part of her culture. My response to that is of course HE** NO because I am not letting my 4 year old listen to words and messages that I myself will not listen. It is profane and violent and just no... Well he goes on to say that 2Pac was a positive influence in the black community because he told the world what went on in the ghettos and blah blah blah and because I am not a REAL black person, I wouldn't understand his importance... Ok 1st of all, I didn't realize that being raised by in an educated, well- off nuclear family made me a pretend AA woman??? Second, of all the positive influences you pick him to teach our child values???? you have got to be f-ing kidding.

BriHan06

Asked by BriHan06 at 12:41 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Relationships

• I agree with you...so because I'm white, does that mean I should let my children listen to inappropriate music made by white folks, just because they're white? That really doesn't make any sense. And why does hip-hop/rap HAVE to be considered part of the AA culture? Aren't there AA people who don't listen to that kind of music?

confused

vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:45 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• What do those idiot rappers have to do with culture. Have her read on rosa parks, etc. But listen to that crap really.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 1:14 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Bwahahahaha... my goodness some people are lost in space.

The hilarious part of the dumb advice is that kids under about 14 will happily and mindlessly sing along with all kinds of things with absolutely no idea not only what they're saying or what it means, but even of the distinct words...

'Hark the Harold Angel Sings....' et cetera
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:47 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Sounds like significant enough differences to not be raising a child together. I wouldn't want my daughter raised like that. Does he want her to grow up educated and responsible, or to grow up to be like the small portion of AA people that present the ghetto stereotype? Music does influence, and I personally wouldn't want that influence pushed on my kid, especially at that young of an age. That is ridiculous.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:49 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• ok she needs to learn about her culture, but i don't think listening to 2pac will help in that. lol. There is such things as history books, which don't use profanity. Please try another way to teach your daughter about your culture! And tell your SO to shove it, no reason a 4 year old needs to listen to that!
    Mommy2JoshNJake

Answer by Mommy2JoshNJake at 12:51 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• anyone can be a positive role model and doesn't have to be of your culture to do so, mlk jr was a great role model but if only blacks listened to him there would never have been a movement for aa rights. all races have to come together for all of our children. she will learn about 2pac later, if she wants to. i personally think though, that there are better people that make better decisions than 2pac did.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 2:28 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• well, how about ll cool j or will smith's older stuff? their raps are more family friendly than 2pac lmao. i hear what he's saying, but there are better options than 2 pac of all people lmao.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 12:44 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• WOW... your SO is not even AA and he thinks this? I'm not AA either but i completely agree with you that a 4yo does NOT need to listen to 2pac! if she chooses to listen to that when she's older then that's her choice but at 4years old?!
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 12:45 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• That's helarious. There are more positive role models who use less profanity and vulgarity that she can pay attention to. She doesn't need to listen to rap to learn about the African American culture, or to even learn about the happenings of the Ghetto. Your husband has a point that it is important for everyone to learn about their herritage, but children don't need to be learning about it from rappers. Ontop of that, there are more important and more positive parts of African American history that she should learn first. I believe. That goes for any culture. Show them the positives and the more important aspects and when they get older slip in some of the more negative aspects if you wish. (Negative for a lack of a more proper term)
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:45 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Sorry this is more of a rant, but I just couldn't believe he went there with me... Furthermore, you are Japanese and were not even raised in the states... How do you know what is and is not important to a race other than your own??? I mean come on... See it is ignorant, close-minded comments like THAT that has so many people convinced that all AA people are these ridiculously ghetto uneducated people. Even worse, it makes AA people think that that is what they should be... Man, that whole conversation has my blood boiling.
    BriHan06

Comment by BriHan06 (original poster) at 12:45 PM on Aug. 23, 2010