Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

dh won't deal with defaulted student loan problems, really screwing up his credit, what can I do?

His student loans should've been deferred because we are low-income and can't afford to repay them now, but he didn't get the paperwork in right or whatever and they went into default. its gotten to the point where they not only sent it to a credit collection agency but they might take it out of our income taxes next year! He will not just call and figure this out though, and its really screwing up his credit (which was not that good to begin with)! Is there anything i can do? i have tried talking to the collection people that call but they say they can only talk to him... MY student loans are in deferrment and we don't have the same last name or co-signed on anything so i don't think its gonna affect MY credit rating, but still it is really worrying me. :(

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:42 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Money & Work

Answers (5)
  • They will take your income taxes, and there's nothing you can do. He's got to call.

    Answer by lovinangels at 12:46 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

  • If you have a job and file income taxes, file a separate income tax form. That way you will get your refund and he can deal with his mistake then.


    Answer by Joeygoat at 12:51 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

  • I hate student loans first he needs to call or email his lending institution and ask if they will recall the loan back from the collection agency. They may not right away but they may say if you make so many payments on time they will recall it. It wont affect your credit but if you file taxes with him they will garnish them then you can always file for injured spouse and get some of the money back.

    Answer by okmommy08 at 12:53 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

  • My sister has been deferring hers for like 4 years now, they FINALLY told her that she has to pay $50 a month on them or they will garnish her paycheck and take her tax refund. His bills can not affect your credit whether you have separate things together or not as long as you didn't co-sign on the loans.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 1:15 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

  • Have him sign a paper allowing you to talk to the collection agency for him. They may even have a form for him to fill out.

    It won't affect your credit score unless you co-signed for it. But they can instantly garnish his wages without taking him to court, put liens on anything he owns, and anything you guys own jointly- including homes, cars, savings and checking accounts. And like you said, take your tax return. Again, all of that without taking you to court.

    He needs to know the seriousness of this. If he doesn't want to deal with it, he at least needs to sign the papers needed for you to take over.

    I hope you get this sorted out soon. Sorry you are going through this.

    Answer by Erica_Smerica at 2:08 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.