Religious school

Would you send your child to a religious school if you are non religious? Why or why not?

Would you be upset to learn that the parents of a classmate of your child's is non religious if you are religious? Why or why not?

purpleducky

Asked by purpleducky at 12:47 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Nope. I wouldn't put my kids in the hypocritical position of having to play along at school while living at home with people who disagree.

And, yes, I probably would be upset to find someone who didn't believe in the education being offered using the school for free babysitting...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:48 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• i could care less about the religious preference of my children's classmates. i would not send them to a religious school because around here they have very low test scores and basically it's only good if you want to get into a religious college. not saying they're all like that, but i only care about the schools around here. if i was not religious and the school was excellent and had great test scores and was regularly recruted by top colleges then i would consider it.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 12:49 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• my son starts private Christian school in about 10 days now. My husband is a total athiest and me.... on the fence, I guess.

I appreciated Christian values and a private education so its what we ultimately chose for our son (and his sister next year when she's big enough!)

Since the school prays before meals and attends chapel weekly we've incorporated a blessing into out meal routine and he went to vacation bible school to get a feel for Church, where he'd not previously been

I guess it's my secret desire my own son will help save my soul and convert me.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:50 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• my parents send my sibling and i to catholic school they are not religious at all they reason they did this is cause they had better teach and better educational program i myself am non religious but the education i got was great
    cnoble927

Answer by cnoble927 at 12:50 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Linda: it's not free babysitting whatsoever. Public school on the other hand is 7-9 hours of free babysitting a day. Any religious school is PRIVATE and has a tuition attached. And being a single income family it's a sacrifice for us. But I loathe public school values, budget cuts, etc so I am doing what I have to do to make sure my son is on a good path to a happy and successful life
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:52 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• No, I probably would not send my kids to a religious (christian) school. Wait, I know for a fact I would not do it.
    And I also do not care what religion the kids are in a school.
    I think that most private christian schools offer a fabulous education but it is the religious aspect I cannot deal with. I think having morals and values are extremely important and we teach our children right from wrong at home, but I in no way agree with the christian religion.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 12:57 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I doubt it, especially if the school was from a conservative religion or denomination. The first thing I would want to know is about their science cirriculum.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:58 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I would only want my kids to attend a school where I agree with their values and what they are teaching.
    If someone who did not have the same beliefs and decide to send their kids to a private school I would have no problem with that as long as they had respect.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 12:58 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• No, not personally. I couldn't do that to my kids... However, I have family in NY who do use a christian school, mainly because they have had too many issues with their local school, and their wild child was expelled. So, not much of a choice.

I would hope that anyone in the position of learning that their child goes to school with someone of a different faith, or none at all, wouldn't be any more upset than the parent of a child who's friend is a christian.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:59 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I am a fan of public school. I think even if there were schools available for someone with my beliefs I wouldn't send my children there... I think one of the biggest blessings about Public School is the fact that they learn to deal with so many different lifestyles and belief systems. I don't like the idea of only exposing them to people who think and believe like them, so public school is a blessing!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:06 PM on Aug. 23, 2010