How can I encourage my son (10) to eat healthier?

He is very picky and he will try one new thing a day but still, his favorite meal is white rice or top ramen. {Sigh}
Any suggestions are welcome

Roadfamily6now

Asked by Roadfamily6now at 12:52 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Our medical group had a nutrition class for kids, and our local community college outreach also had a nutrition class. My boys are now 18, 21 & 27, and when they were younger we did both classes. The class at the medical group gave them lots of great information, and they even took a walk at each class, but also got to test out different healthy foods.

The college outreach class had the kids cooking healthy foods, and really explained the nutrition in each recipe that they made. They wanted to help me cook and plan menus that were healthy. I have to admit, my oldest doesn't eat that healthy now, but the younger two are actually pretty health conscious, and aware of nutrition. They still eat fast food and junk food, but they make healthy choices most of the time....Sometimes they need someone else to tell them it's important...besides mom!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:58 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• He's a kid. You are the parent. He eats what you give him or have in the house for him. Want him to eat healthy? Fix healthy foods and only keep healthier foods in the house. If he's hungry, he'll eat.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 1:00 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Well, you could stop buying it.

Until the kid's in charge of buying the groceries and making the meals, I'd say he's a sitting duck. If you suddenly stop buying raman noodles and white rice, it's going to be awfully difficult for him to choose to eat it.

And, if you're feeling really brave, you could simply stop catering and let him be hungry or work out alternatives on his own. Provide healthy, unchallenging foods (it wouldn't be kind to serve curry the first day, right? although it might be funny...) in reasonable portions and let him eat it or be hungry, as he chooses.

I've never had any delusions about being able to 'make' a kid eat anything. But I can absolutely fail to provide whatever it is they've selected that I believe is inappropriate. White rice and raman noodles are on the top of that list, with poptarts and candy...
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:09 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• maybe mix whaite and brown rice together. and only buy things from the store that yourt ok with them eating.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 12:54 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• At our house we require 3 bites and I do not make second meals. So I it was my child I would make white rice, pease and chicken. I would require that 3 bites be taken off of everything on the plate and then you can have seconds of what you want. Want thirds? 3 more bites. At that age they are old enough to eat it or be hungry IMO.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:55 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Thank you Linda, I have to agree. I have tried the stubborn route with him about 4 years ago and truth be told this kid is one stubborn kiddo. He will go hungry rather then eat something he does not want to eat.
    I cannot make him eat but I can fail to provide. :) It helps to put things into perspective. Thanks
    Roadfamily6now

Comment by Roadfamily6now (original poster) at 1:20 PM on Aug. 23, 2010