Should restaurants change for children under 3?

I went to a buffet that charges $2.99 for children under 3. Most buffets let children this age eat free. I love the restaurant but I never leave a tip because of this.

vr3star

Asked by vr3star at 12:54 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Food & Drink

• while it is nice when restaurants let kids eat free, of course it shouldn't be mandatory LOL the kids are eating the restaurant's food after all.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 12:56 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• It's no server's fault that the restaurant has a policy you don't like... but you penalized your server for it. In some places, that means that neither you NOR the restaurant had to pay him/her to serve you. Probably not your intention.

More useful is to write to the management and tell them why you'll not be returning. And then don't go back until you hear the policy has changed. Unless they throw free-food money at you and you liked the food and service enough to return.

I think restaurants have the right to do anything they want to alienate and irritate their customers, just as they have the right to fail utterly.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:56 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• you dont leave a tip? its not the servers fault that the restaurant charges for food your child is eating.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 12:57 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• You should still leave a tip, it isn't the server/bus person's fault the management charges for kids.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:57 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• that is VERY weird. 5 years ago if I saw that I probably would've walked out the door and left. However with so many business and restaurants closing and going bankrupt, that 2.99 might be keeping their doors open. I've adjusted to inflation and we don't eat out nearly as much these days
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 12:58 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• The restaurants do not have to let your child eat for free, most do it as a courtesy. I still think you should tip because it is not the server's fault, and he or she does not deserve to be punished for it.

Courtney610

Answer by Courtney610 at 12:59 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• If it's a buffet, I never leave a tip. And the one that I've gone to in the past charges $0.50 per year...so a 3 year old would be $1.50. They don't eat much, so I don't mind paying a little bit. Even $3 would be fine for me!
    rockinmomto2

Answer by rockinmomto2 at 12:59 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I've seen parents loading up their "free kids plate" while their kids don't eat any or a tiny fraction of what was on it, but the parents do! Amazing what people will do to save a buck. *sigh*
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:59 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Did you not notice a charge for your child's meal when you read the menu or entered the building? I'm also not sure why you did not tip your server because of a charge for a meal?

If you want free food, eat at Denny's.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 12:59 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I know there's a buffet where I live that charge like 50 cents for children under 3. they are eating the food...I would say somwhere in that range would be fair because they certainly wouldn't eat as much as an older child and/or adult.
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 12:59 PM on Aug. 23, 2010