What kind of person would allow this in their own family?

A brother who lives in a shack in the desert on less than a typical dinner?

A mother dying fighting with her insurance and you do not make the calls FOR her?

A grandmother who is in ailing health but is left to be on her own. Why not bring her to live closer?

If family who is your blood line does not matter who really does?

SFerber

Asked by SFerber at 11:34 PM on Oct. 8, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• ...Am I missing something?
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 11:38 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• They need to look to Jesus and he will get them throw whatever there going throw. I was broke didnt have any money and I got a check in the mail for 950.00 dollars. I had canser and God healed me of that in Jesus name. Jesus feed the 5,000 in the bible and all U have to do is call on Jesus Christ and he will give u food. Jesus had done so much for me and I dont even deserve it why does he do this? Cause we trust and believe in him....
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 11:39 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I'm confused by what you are asking
    meriahmn

Answer by meriahmn at 11:41 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• I've heard of stories like these. Frequently, the rest of the family doesn't realize how bad things are or are refusing to face facts. It is also very common for the person in trouble to lie about the situation or to refuse help.
    My own uncle is dying of cancer - he won't make it to Christmas. Most of his siblings haven't gone to see him. They don't want to admit he is dying. Selfish? Yes. Human? Yes.

If I knew a family member needed help, would I help? Yes, I would offer. But I can't make someone tell me when they need help and I can't make them accept the help I offer.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:41 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• You ask very different questions. The brother may have chosen to live that way--and that's his right. Regarding the mother and grandmother, I guess it may depend on whether they want help or not. It doesn't make sense, but some people--maybe depending on their relationship--don't want help. Faith calls upon us to act, but only if the receipient of our help wants it.
    WD40

Answer by WD40 at 11:43 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• If the person COULD act but CHOSE not to...what kind of person is that?
    SFerber

Answer by SFerber at 11:49 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Sometimes people refuse help. Sometimes people are just too hard to please and you can make yourself miserable trying to help them. Sometimes ins. companies won't give out information to anyone BUT the patient and their dr(s). Sometimes people are happier living in a shack in the desert.

And sometimes blood is NOT thicker than water.

All I can say is -- don't judge. You never really know the whole story of other people's lives. If you feel compelled, there's nothing stopping you from trying to help if you feel someone needs help.

Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:50 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• sheri, oh sheri..i don't think anyone is following your logic. does anybody really know what time it is? (sorry, i picked up on it right away.)
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 12:00 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• thehairnazi
    theha...
    sheri, oh sheri..i don't think anyone is following your logic. does anybody really know what time it is? (sorry, i picked up on it right away.)

Apparently not. .... Glad you have a sense of what I am saying.

TO ALL: IF A MAN CAN ACT TO HELP A PERSON AND DOES NOT...BECAUSE HE CHOOSES NOT...WHAT DOES THAT SAY ABOUT HIS CHARACTER?
    SFerber

Answer by SFerber at 12:06 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• it says his character needs fixin. remember what the old people used to say? if you can't take care of your own house (family), how are you going to take care of other people's houses? (or something like that). what kind of mother would i be if i let my child go hungry, or wear ratty clothes, but co-chaired a food bank, or clothing drive for others? the same kind of people who think this kind of person is ok, is the kind of people who only think within their own box. you can't serve the world, if you can't serve your family first. yes, blood is thicker than water, but sometimes, blood runs cold and needs to be warmed up again,if it ever was warm to begin with.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 12:21 AM on Oct. 9, 2008