Suspending cell phone

Hello,
I am trying to cut back all costs possible so that I can do some extended training so I can reenter the workforce after being a SAHM for 2 years. Its a 12 week training course. I will have additional out going such as childcare expenses that I do not currently have as well as gas for my vehicle. Anyways I was thinking maybe my cell phone would be something I could cut back so I checked into suspending it because my contract doesn't expire for awhile.. anyway even if you suspend it you still have to pay your month bill- what is the point in suspending it then... am I understanding this correctly?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:11 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Money & Work

• Since your under contract then you still have to pay the bill. Suspending it would be for not wanting to get phone calls for a q quite weekend, punishing your child/husband, etc.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 1:13 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Who is yoour carrier. I suspended my sons phone for 3 months once. All it did was extend the contract 3 months.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:18 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• You should be able to reduce the monthly plan to the lowest possible plan for no charge.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 1:19 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• It all depends on the company. Some companies will simply add time to the end of your contract for suspending the service. Have you thought about saving money in other places first? Cutting back on eating out, (if you do so) meal planning tends to save a ton of money, cut back on internet and cable at home. Since my cell phone is the only phone I have, I wouldn't think about cutting the service for a short period of time. We have gone without cable for months in order to save some money. Try other areas first, and you will be surprised what you can save!
    joe_momma

Answer by joe_momma at 1:46 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Get a basic plan
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 2:02 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• what carrier do you have? I know Verizon Wireless lets you do a.... economical/hardship suspend for up to three months. But as a pp said you don't pay during that time, but they will extend your contract.
    mama2three717

Answer by mama2three717 at 6:50 PM on Aug. 23, 2010