S/O Who really started the modern day tea parties?

The modern day tea party protests actually started in 2004 when a group of 2000 Americans (the We the People Foundation) sued the US Government over the Income Tax and the IRS claiming it unconstitutional. There was also a parallel movement called "End the Fed" which sought to abolish the federal reserve. These two movements were driven by Americans with a LIBERTARIAN philosophy, many of whom were/are supporters of Ron Paul. The tea party that has been in the media since 2009, was started by mostly REPUBLICANS. Since then a number of websites have popped up claiming to be the real mccoy, but as it stands the vast majority of tea party organizations remain independent. Many prominent GOP members (eh-hem Palin) are trying to hijack the movement and make it about voting in a Republican majority, but this is FAR from the philosophy of those from past protests who sought a return to limited government regardless of party. see links

Gal51

Asked by Gal51 at 1:28 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• While it was certainly simmering for a while, I thought it came to a boil following Rick Santelli's unplanned "proclamation?!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp-Jw-5Kx8k

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:42 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I wish the mantra Tea Party would go away. I don't think it pertains to what Americans are really saying. Yes, everyone is taxed enough already but what most Americans want right now is for our government to stop spending our childrens money. That comes first. Closing the borders so our country is safer and stopping the foolishness that America is to blame for everyones problems and we deserve what we get because we are all bad people.
    There are so many different groups out there of people tired of having this government tell us how we will run our own lives that you can't lump them all under a "tea party" heading. Every group is a bit different but yet trying to come to the same end game
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:13 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Once something becomes "mainstream" it gets perverted.

The Tea Party is no different.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:51 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Hotmama, what you described is not the Libertarian version. Not even a little bit.

KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 4:58 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• In don't really care who started it it is still a disgrace to the original tea party they should change the name.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 2:18 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I'm a die hard Republican and have never considered myself a Tea Partier, in fact none of the women I associate with from the regional federation does either.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 5:48 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Stop the blame game both parties are to blame and we should stick together to get the losers out. STOP VOTING IN THE SAME LOSERS BACK IN JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE IN YOUR PARTY!!

That is why we are in the tea party we want a return to limited government regardless of party!!!

gammie

Answer by gammie at 2:42 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Did you not notice I said ALL just like all other political type parties they are all the same. Yes they may have a little difference in their causes, but they are still all the same.

Okay, lump Libertarians all together with other parties if you like, but in doing so it says you know little about the Libertarian party. I'm not trying to recruit you either, but I'm a card-carrying Libertarian, and if what you are assuming about the party is false, then I'm going to correct you on it as did Gal51. We aren't attacking you or being ugly about it, just correcting misinformation.

KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 8:46 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• From what i've heard/seen there are those who call themselves libertarians who lean more to the right or left too.Some who call themselves libertarians are almost lock step in line with conservatives on some social issues..and the same for some who are almost lock step with the left..
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:15 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• http://www.givemeliberty.org/RTPLawsuit/InfoCenter.htm
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=&q=teaparty&sourceid=navclient-ff&rlz=1B3GGGL_enUS276US277&ie=UTF-8
    http://endthefedusa.ning.com/
    Gal51

Comment by Gal51 (original poster) at 1:31 PM on Aug. 23, 2010