How can I feel more comfortable about my 13 year old at the bus stop alone?

So my 13 year old is taking the bus to school for the first time this year. We just moved to the area. My husband is out of the house at 6, my son has to be at the bus stop at 6:15 and my little one is still sleeping. What can I do, what would you do? I am maybe just a little new at this and anxious.

readytogetgoing

Asked by readytogetgoing at 1:35 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I would probably wake the baby and take her to the bus stop. There are just too many things that can happen today, so I would err on the side of caution. Your baby will probably readjust to the new schedule.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:37 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• how far away is the bus stop? If its not very far and withing walkie talkie range invest in one..that way you can communicate until the bus comes...i use one to talk to my sd when shes outside and im inside..just be sure to have the child cut it off when they get on the bus and know not to play with it at school
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 1:39 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I guess it depends on the area, the 13 y.o.'s maturity level and ability to trust to do the right thing. Also, distance from the bus stop. Also, are there other kids that meet at this bus stop or is the 13 y.o. alone?
    amymarie0315

Answer by amymarie0315 at 1:44 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• At 11 I walked to a mile to middle school, everyday, by myself. I think she will be fine walking to the bus stop. Teach her all about what to do if someone approaches her. Give her a whistle and a cell phone. She should be fine.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:45 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• he is probably 4 tenths of a mile from the house. He is very mature for his age, good head on his shoulders. Today is the first day of school so I am not sure of the kids at the stop. We live in a nice area but we have only lived here for two months. I will see what he thinks .The thing that bothers me is that its so early its still dark outside.
    readytogetgoing

Comment by readytogetgoing (original poster) at 1:48 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• How far is the bus stop from your house? If your child knows how to get from the house to the bus stop she/he will be fine. She/he is 13 YRS OLD. My Step-son is 13 and he goes to the mall alone and he takes the bus alone. You have to let go one way or another. So your hubby leaves at 6 you get up and make sure your child has everything and get her out the door you don't have to wake your LO that is sleeping. Your son/daughter is 13 they will be fine. Shit she/he will be driving in 3 yrs.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 1:49 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• He has a cell phone. I think he will be ok, I am just new at this and new in the area so I am a little freaked out. I walked to school from 7-12th and never had a problem, but all it takes is one creep, one minute and you just never know.
    readytogetgoing

Comment by readytogetgoing (original poster) at 1:49 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Where in the hell do you live that it is so dark outdoors? It will be light sooner then you think.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:52 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• not SO dark out side.....we live in FL and its dark still past 6:40...which is 10 mins past when he gets on the bus.

And raemommy I cant believe that he will be driving in 3 years....UGH LOL help I am not ready for my kids to grow up....I think thats really the root of my issue :)
    readytogetgoing

Comment by readytogetgoing (original poster) at 1:55 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• It depends on where you live I guess. I live in a great area and rode the bus by myself from 12 on and had no issues. I imagine in stupid and violent places like downtown Denver you would not leave your kid at the bus stop. I tell my kids if anyone approaches them and tries to give them something or take them away to yell and scream "I don't know this person HELP ME!" or run if possible. People don't give teens enough credit. He is probably fine.
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 1:55 PM on Aug. 23, 2010