my 2 yr old won't stop being rough !! what should i do?

bryce is always "playing" rough. he pulls hair and slaps. i just don't know what to do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:51 PM on Oct. 8, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• This is a long term solution, that is you won't see immediate results.

When he does ANYTHING that is inappropriate, Say only one word firmly "NO", put him down and walk away, completely ignore him. Then, when he is playing nicely give him lots & lots of attention and say things like "good boy playing softly" or "I like it when you play nicely" etc...

PRAISE THE POSTIVE, IGNORE THE NEGATIVE.

If he is doing this with other children, do something similar. Say "NO" & then pick him up, remove him, put him down & completely ignore him. Give all of the attention to the child that might have been roughed up or hurt.

Good luck.
    Waxing_Lyrical

Answer by Waxing_Lyrical at 12:28 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Oh just one more suggestion.

Rather than tell him the behaviour you don't want, like "stop hitting", "stop shouting" etc... Try to word things in a positive frame "shouting is for outside" or "I like you to play softly"

Ask for the behaviour you want. Don't tell them what you don't want. This just reinforces negative behaviours.

It might take a while to re-train yourself & as I said this is not a short term fix but in the long run it will pay off for you nicely.
    Waxing_Lyrical

Answer by Waxing_Lyrical at 12:31 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Lol! Accept that you have a boy and there isnt much you can do!
    PiscesRooster

Answer by PiscesRooster at 12:53 AM on Oct. 9, 2008