Is this normal? I'm a first time mom : )

Hi everyone, I have a 13 month old little boy who has to me a really bad temper when he doesn't want to do something he clenches both of his fists, shakes, and cries...it just weirds me out that he so little & gets sooo mad is this just a temper tantrum??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:51 PM on Oct. 8, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son is 14 and a half months and I do believe it is normal for them at this age. They are starting to learn right from wrong and when they dont get there way they tend to get a little upset about it I suposse. If it isn't normal then its just our 2 kids that are alike lol
    Married2theBest

Answer by Married2theBest at 11:59 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• My littles one does this too and probably started around the same age, maybe a little sooner. I'm a strong beleiver that as his mother YOU make the best judgment calls about what is "normal" and not normal for him. If you feel that he is getting TOO upset then try to be more calm around him and take a different approach when you want him to do something he won't like. Some ideas are distracting him with a toy, a song, a game like patty cake or peek-a-boo, or even a cracker or cookie (i don't think once in a while hurts). I see a lot of moms who repond to their children's upsets by getting more upset themselves, as long as you're staying calm, reasurring your son and not teasing or agravating the situation I think he'll be OK.
    KatieLou23

Answer by KatieLou23 at 11:59 PM on Oct. 8, 2008

• Mine doesn't do that. He does something though. One day he just started this high pitched scream. I just about came unravelled. From that point on he will do it just about anywhere anytime. My four year old braces himself when the 16 month old does it expecting maybe the ceiling to fall on our heads. A week or so ago he took to just flinging stuff on the floor. I have decided that it too shall pass...I just have to stay home even more so we don't get anymore dirty looks in the stores and when he does it I pull up a chair next to him, don't look at him and just sit quietly. It doesn't stop them, but it shortens them. Mostly,it makes ME stop and breath. My hubby thinks he is just really frustrated and trying to find his own way of expression. I don't know, but if you find out, please let me know!
    alwaysathomemom

Answer by alwaysathomemom at 12:01 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Totally normal. Remember he doesn't have the words necessary to express his feelings. He's not just mad about the situation...he's also frustrated that you don't understand what's he's going through and that he can't make you understand.

Try distraction.  Toddlers are easily distracted.

Babujai

Answer by Babujai at 12:02 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• THanks everyone : )
    FRANCINE818

Answer by FRANCINE818 at 12:13 AM on Oct. 9, 2008