Eyelash in baby's eye

I have a 6 week old who has had what looks like a really long eye lash in his eye. I have tried to flush it out with saline eye drops, but it won't come out. It is so long that it gets stuck under the lids. Any suggestions as to how to get this out?

Gal51

Asked by Gal51 at 1:58 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Wet washcloth.
    kksmomma1019

Answer by kksmomma1019 at 2:15 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I agree, a damp warm washcloth.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:18 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Just keep working with his eye to get it out, you may have to stick your finger in and try to pick it out...but if it isn't bothering him his body will work the hair out on its own.
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 2:00 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Eventually it will work it's way out on its own. You will find it outside the eye eventually. If it is really bothering him, then call your Pediatrician. I wouldn't irritate his eye by trying to get it out myself.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:02 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I gave you a bump. Poor baby I had a very simular problem 2 days ago, on of my dd's hairs got stuck in my eye and I couldn't get it out for a day and a half, it scratched the heck out of my eye and it sure does hurt. I sugest taking your baby to the doctor and having them get it out
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 2:04 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I forgot to mention that he's had it in there for about 2 weeks ... I assumed that it would work itself out. It doesn't appear to bother him, and it hangs out mostly in the corner of his eye. I'm getting anxious about it because it hasn't worked itself out yet.
    Gal51

Comment by Gal51 (original poster) at 2:12 PM on Aug. 23, 2010