Switching from formula to whole milk.

Any suggestions on switching from formula to whole milk? Should you just switch it or start slowly with milk and formula?

excitedmommy22

Asked by excitedmommy22 at 1:59 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Offer milk inbetween feedings. Also, some babies do not like whole milk. We went almost immediately to 2%.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:01 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I started slowly and added an ounce of milk a day till she was switched completely over. 1 ounce for a few days the 2 ounces and so on.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 2:02 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I started switching by putting so much formula with milk, then increased how much milk then pretty soon it was all milk. the second time around I just switched cold turkey to milk, that was alittle more of a struggle but it only lasted a few days.
    Shani527

Answer by Shani527 at 2:02 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• In the beginning, we did a combo of half milk half formula. After DD no longer seemd to notice a taste difference, we switched completely to whole milk. It was pretty painless and happened over the course of a couple days.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 2:28 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I didnt mix formula with the whole milk. I didnt want to mess with a taste she already enjoyed. So what we did was start with whole milk in the sippy cup like 2 oz at a time at first. While still giving formula in her bottles. After a week or so she would have 4 oz of whole milk in the cup so at that time I eliminated a bottle. We kept increasing the amount of whole milk over several weeks then eventually we only had a bed time bottle with formula. Now she loves milk and we didnt mess with her taste buds my mixing the two together.
    navyjen

Answer by navyjen at 2:55 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I killed 2 birds with 1 stone. I switched to milk and weaned the bottle at the same time. My oedi has always told me only formula or BM goes in the bottle and i stuck to that. At around 11 months i started offering small bits of whole milk in his cup at a meal a day. Then slowly increased it. At 12 months and 2 days when he ran out of formula i threw the bottles away too. He was used to the taste of the milk and the cup so he didnt miss the bottles or formula at all :) I never mixed the milk with formula or put it in the bottle. Good luck :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 3:25 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• At 12 mo you can wean from or stop formula. People don't need to drink cow's milk. Toddlers only need a max of 2 servings of milk (if you choose any) and they like cheese, yogurt, and food with milk. It is hard to limit them to 2 servings. Milk causes constipation, digestive problems, obesity, and other problems. Toddlers need to drink water. Kefir is a yogurt alternative. It's a drink that has more probiotics.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:26 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• we just stopped giving formula and only offered milk.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 6:59 PM on Aug. 23, 2010