Teaching respect for 'things'

I don't like possessions (things). I would like to have many fewer things, less "stuff", kwim??? So I am trying to teach my 6yo to have respect for what we have instead of letting things break and expecting new ones. I want to have her use the same backpack and lunchbox as last year since they are in great shape.... but dh things she'll get made fun of and feel bad. I don't care - she needs to be respectful and appreciative of what we have and I think this is a good opportunity to teach her that. What do you think??? AM I running the risk of scaring the kid by making her use the same backpack as last year???

science_spot

Asked by science_spot at 2:00 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Do kids really pay attention to that sort of thing? I dont think I ever noticed if peoples stuff was new in school.. maybe kids are different now (im only 27).. but i dont think they are THAT materialistic until jr. high & even then a new back pack is not what people look at.. its hair & clothes & shoes...
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 3:16 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I think there is a way to let her have what she wants in away that will increase the chance she will take care of it, or learn that she has to do something to earn more stuff. See what the cost of the new item is. Tell her what chores she has to do and how many times she has to do it to earn the item. People tend to appreciate what they earn more then what you just give them.

SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 2:06 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Are kids really going to remember what lunchbox or backpack she had months ago? My daughter is using the same bag she's been using since second grade and the same lunchbox since first grade.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 3:05 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• No,I think its a good lesson you're teaching her. We're doing the same with the backpack and lunch box. Why buy new when the one they have isn't broken?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:02 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Sylvia, that's a good idea but she doesn't have time to earn that kind of money between today and Thursday. I pay very cheap on chores, LOL. I will remember that for the future though.
    science_spot

Comment by science_spot (original poster) at 2:25 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I always used the same back pack until it wasn't any good anymore. .. & god forbid I wrote all over it like i see kids doing these days, Id have to use the next year...

Although we buy alot for john. he has respect for his things. He takes care of them. If HE breaks them we will not replace them. (theres been a few toys that other kids have broken & we have replaced.) Im a strong believer in respect whats given to you, take care of whatcha got & you'll earn the right to have more.
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 4:42 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Btw Johns using a backpack from last year that was bought for him to use on overnight visits.. Its transformers....
    lilmoosesmom

• Mine reuse and haven't had a problem with it.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 7:13 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Thanks everyone. I knew I wasn't alone in this :)
    science_spot

Comment by science_spot (original poster) at 7:42 PM on Aug. 23, 2010