How do you tell you friend that the guy she thought was her boyfriend is ...

Just not that into her!! He broke up with her last night via text! He is 40!
Claiming that he "wants to still be friends, but with no benefits". The sad thing is that she is in love with him and he has simply tolerated her because she is convenient.

How do you tell your BFF that?

She is making up all kinds of excuses for his behavior - stress, not ready to commit etc...

chefronswife

Asked by chefronswife at 2:09 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Relationships

• Well sometimes, even your best friend don't want to hear some things.. My advice: just be there for her when she realizes.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:10 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• A real friend will tell her straight out. Don't let her get hurt. Tell her the truth even though it will hurt.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:10 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Tell her the truth.

or tell her that you know the truth...

it sounds like she knows & is trying to fool herself.... let her know your not buying it..

&& be there for her when she needs you
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 2:12 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• You don't... unless she keeps harassing him... then you tell her to move on and start looking into other prospects that will treat her how she should be treated. :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 2:14 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I would tell her the truth and be there for her. If i was in her shoes I would want to know the truth no matter if it would hurt me or not. True friends always tell the truth no matter what the out come maybe.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 2:17 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Sounds like she needs a slap in the face. How old is she? Man, am I glad I don't have too many friends.. I don't think I could put up with a complete idiot for a friend.
    joe_momma

Answer by joe_momma at 2:19 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• he "wants to still be friends, but with no benefits

sounds like he already told her
    IF he says in future that he wants to be friends WITH benefits, THEN you need to say something
    at this point sounds lik he made it clear, you just need to be there to listen to her, tell her that it is not the end of her world, complainment her and let her know she deserves better-once she says bad things about him
    careful not to bad mouth him too much=they may get back together and then she will not want to talk to you
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 2:21 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Tell her how you just told us. Tell her that you're there for her but that in your opinion.... and then say what you just said there.
    ourbabykins

Answer by ourbabykins at 2:27 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• People can not see what they do not want to see.

If she wanted to see, or believe, that he was not that into her. She would have already accepted that, she obviously hasn't yet.

She'll eventually figure it out, or accept that reality. When she does be there for her, be her shoulder to lean own, her ear to listen to her pain. But don't give her the "I told you so" line.. She'll already know that she was told, that will make the realization just a little more a kick in the gut.

If she doesn't accept this reality. Then she doesn't accept it. There's nothing you can really do about that. If she continues on wanting to be with him, the so be it. She'll either end up with him and be miserable because reality will set in. Or she'll continue wasting her time chasing/wanting a man who doesn't want her. If either of these happens, it's her choice and she has to live with it. At that point, console or not, it's up to you.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:28 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• just be honest and tell her and then be there for her
    alyssa1

Answer by alyssa1 at 2:30 PM on Aug. 23, 2010