What kind of routine should I be doing with my 1 month old?

I am a first time mom, totally clueles s(lol) & am not sure I am feeding him, & putting him to sleep the right way. My son is 1 month old & drinking from 2-3oz every 3 hrs. 12, 3, 6 & 9 are his feeding times. Now, our Dr said we should be doing " eat, play sleep". This may sound dumb, but how do you "play" with a newborn? I read after feeding times I should keep him up for at least 30 mins, but he falls asleep right afterwards , so thats when I put him down to sleep. We are going to the Dr this week, but I thought I would see what all you Mom's suggest

LDA33

Asked by LDA33 at 2:10 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Make faces at him and he will try to imitate you... slowly stick your tongue in and out at him he will do it back after a while... coo and make sounds at him he will try to repeat...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 2:15 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Do it your way. I let my kids sleep after eating. Playing could be things like tummy time.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 2:15 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• It is easier said than done, especially if he's still not sleeping through the night. I wouldn't stress over it too much. As he gets older, he'll stay up during the day a lot more and then you'll be able to play with him, read to him, ect.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 2:17 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• play is just awake time and you could sing to him and talk to him. he will get more and more alert over time and interact with you more. Some newborns are not awake much and others are. Enjoy!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:21 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• When your baby is awake. That at 1 month old is not that much. Just talk to him. that is about all you can do with a 1 month old. They can not even see very well at that age. Some times doctors do not know everything.

Answer by louise2 at 2:26 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• play time just means to spend time with your baby. 1 months old don't do anything but eat sleep and poop anyways. I strongly suggest you look into Parents as Teachers through your local school district. I did it with my first and second born and it was fun, helpful, and best of all free!!! It was a great resource to learn what the baby can actually do- seeing, controlled movements etc, and what they will start to do in the next few weeks. Definately sign up for Parents as Teachers.
    KariLyn84

Answer by KariLyn84 at 3:05 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Your dr is suggesting the pattern from Dr Ezzo. Ezzo is a baby trainer and his methods are known to cause failure to thrive.

Just go with what your baby wants. I wouldn't set feeding times, just feed when hungry (though, I have never bottlefed before). Both of mine always fell asleep after eating, it's completely normal. The "eat play sleep" thing is meant to separate eating and sleeping so that baby stops waking for food at night sooner (which isn't always a good thing).

You can't go wrong following your instincts... you *can* go wrong following the advice of old men who never birthed babies. All babies are different, there's no "right" way to do anything.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 3:08 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• We don't do schedules. When the baby is hungry she eats (breastfed and baby led solids starting at 7 1/2 months), when tired she sleeps, and what we find dull they find interesting. I suggest a wrap or sling for babywearing and go about your day---they love that.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:26 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• There's no need to schedule your babies feedings and you certainly don't have to keep the baby awake after he eats to play. If your LO wants to sleep after eating let him because keeing him awake when he wants to sleep will just mess up your babies natural rhythm. God (or evolution, which ever you please) gave us a mothers intuition for a reason. You do what you think is best not some old religious coot who's "advice" has made thousands of babies suffer, and take your Dr's advice with a grain of salt because they're still just "practicing" medicine.
    GigantaursMommy

Answer by GigantaursMommy at 5:04 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Thank you ladies for all your suggestions! I am going to stop stressing over what "I should do" & do what "I think " is right. I just don't want to create bad habits, but he is only 1 month old, guess he is a little too young for that. Thanks again :)
    LDA33

Comment by LDA33 (original poster) at 7:55 PM on Aug. 23, 2010