Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question for professional Vet tech's or Dr.s

I have a 10 1/2 week old female pup. She's 3/4's razors edge pit bull and 1/4 bull dog (im not sure if its american or regular bull dog, but she's a big pup). She has a hematoma on her left ear and my mother in-law (who is a people nurse) keeps draining it. She's convinced that ice will help it go away. We have drained it about 6 times and the last time was half blood half clear syrum. She says thats a good thing becuase she's that's less blood being lost. My sisters friend who is a tech tells me that she has to go to the vet and it's unavoidable and that the syrum is a sign of infection. If this is true, i currently cannot afford to take her to the vet. My question is, is the vet visit really unavoidable or is there anything from home that i can do to help it go away? It just keeps filling up. Thank you very much

Answer Question
 
tnteaton

Asked by tnteaton at 12:17 AM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Pets

Level 8 (271 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • It is best to take your dog in for an exam. Aural hematomas usually occur secondary to an ear infection, food allergy, bleeding disorder, or trauma. If the underlying cause is not found then the hematomas can continue to occur. Don't drain it because it will continue to keep coming back and every time a needle is stuck in it increases the chance of an infection can occuring and permanetly damage the ear. Concerned that it occurred in this young of a dog. Surgical drainage is the best treatment and there are several different methods on doing it. Do not try to lance it at home because it will cause a lot of bleeding and further pain. Best to get an opinion and then the vet can give you the options of treatment. Watch the other ear closely because it may also form one. Good luck.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:19 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

  • i have an appointment for tomorrow morning to get an estimate of what all is needed becuase i dont have the funds to take her.. so atleast im going to know what im dealing with and what it will cost and then i will go from there..but we have been draining it because it gets soo hard im affraid it will pop. i think i know why she got this..we have a 1 yr old fm pit too and they play alot, and i noticed the big one had the little ones ear in her mouth a few times playing. i think she accidently bit a vessel and thats how this one was caused.
    tnteaton

    Answer by tnteaton at 1:45 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

  • The vet visit is unavoidable. It needs to be done ASAP. I don't think it's an immediate danger, but "home surgeries" do not end well and can end up with infections.

    *Former vet tech*
    Looking2Adopt1

    Answer by Looking2Adopt1 at 11:13 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

  • i totally agree about the "home surgeries" they did also tell me that if i chose not to do it(and that decision would only be made becuase i dont have 400 bucks to pay for it) that i could just let it be and eventually(months later) it'll clot but it'll look like a shrivled up colly flower when it's done.. i hate even thinking about going down that road and i REALLY want her to have the surgery but where the hell am i gonna pull 400 bucks from? my ass?? that's the estimate they gave me this morning when i took her in for the exam.
    tnteaton

    Answer by tnteaton at 12:22 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Pets
how can you tell

Next question overall (Toddlers (1-2))
Is this okay??