Popular names?

Have you noticed names that were popular when we were growing up are now almost non existent among younger kids? For example, there were a ton of girls named Ashley, Jennifer, Amy, etc while I was growing up. I couldn't tell you a single one around my daughters age (3 years old) Now everyone wants to be 'original' in their kids name, and it seems there are some way out there names. What are some names that were popular while you were growing up, and what names have you noticed are very popular today?

joe_momma

Asked by joe_momma at 2:34 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Baby Names

• Jennifer, Erin, Nicole, Sara, Amy, Christy - all popular when I was young, and I'd love it if some of them came back.
    MomToBeISaMom

Answer by MomToBeISaMom at 2:35 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• kayla is extra popular now so is makayla
    and brayden,hayden,jayden.
    when i was younger it was ashley ,jessica,jasmine,
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 2:36 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• IKR!

Popular then: Jennifer, Jason, Amanda, April, John, Steve, Michael, etc.

Now: Caitlyn, Jayden, Aiden, Alyssa, Alaina, Zane, Corbin etc.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 2:41 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• My daughter has 3 girls named Addison in her preschool class . . .
    RoostersMom4

Answer by RoostersMom4 at 3:10 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Elizabeth (but it's always been popular), and sandy, and nancy - as I was growing up
    now, Chloe (my daughter's name), sarah (all over the place!!)
    KricketMother09

Answer by KricketMother09 at 6:24 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• well my name (actually stephanie) was # 8 when i was born and now it's # 112, according to SSA http://www.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/popularnames.cgi
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 8:52 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I have a popular name for the time in which I was born. Lisa was the #2 name the year I was born. Now, you rarely hear of someone naming their baby Lisa. Last year its rank was #686.

There were many girls with my name at school. Some other names that were popular were Jennifer, Heather, Amy, Michelle, Melissa, & Kimberly.
    As for boys, there always seemed to be an overabundance of boys named Michael & Brian in my classes. Also, Jeffrey, Scott, & Kevin.

Now, it seems, the most popular names for boys end in the "den" sound...Aiden, Kaiden, Jayden, Brayden. There are also a lot of Dylans, Tylers, & Noahs As for girls, I see a lot of Emily, Emma, Hannah, Madison, Kayla, Addison, & Chole.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 10:08 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• All I can remember is my name first name "no middle name" was Anne-Louise" and if my teachers didn't call me that my Mother made me correct them. I dropped the Louise in High School. Now only my family call me that.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 10:54 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• All of the girls my age are Jennifer, Amy, Melissa, or Heather. I am a Jennifer, too (but with a crazy spelling)

I know one kid named Marissa, which is close. There are Alyssas everywhere, too.

Boys were Scott, Mike, Jim, Chris.

I don't know a single kid named scott. all of the others are still being used a lot.
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 3:10 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Kristin in 84 when I was born was #47 on the popular list in 2009 it was #886!!
    There were 3 kristin's in middle school science class
    mommyto4rugrats

Answer by mommyto4rugrats at 12:56 AM on Aug. 25, 2010