Do You Have to File Local Taxes?

I'm 40 years old, have lived in several different places, I've never filed a city tax return. I just received a letter saying that I was in trouble for not filing 2008-2009! I filled out the forms and sent them in (we didn't owe anything or expect a refund), but I thought the whole thing was crazy. My DH has 2% taken out of his check for city, (the correct amount), it never occurred to me that I had to file a form?! The craziest part was (to me) that you can't even file exemptions or anything, they just want to know that you paid what you were supposed to. You'd think they would know that you paid the right amount? I think we're going to be billed $25 for each year we haven't filed :(

Scuba

Asked by Scuba at 2:38 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Money & Work

• In our locale we do have to file local taxes, but again it is mostly just checking to see you paid what you were supposed to. A lot of people around here are self employed (farmers etc) and they don't pay throughout the year, but pay one lump sum at the end of the year and I think that is mainly why we have to do it.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 2:53 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I have no idea. I have only heard of state and federal.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 2:41 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I have never did city before. State taxes yes. Talk to a local tax person. Like H&R Block.

Answer by louise2 at 2:43 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• There are no exemptions for the city. It's a flat fee for everyone and everyone files the same form. Did you work in the city anytime during the 2008-2009 tax year? If so, that's why you had to file it. I live in OH and here you pay tax where you work not where you work. For example, we live in an unincorporate area (a township), but my husband pays taxes to the city every year because he works in the city. They take it straight out of his paycheck. Sounds like your HR department didn't take out the taxes it was supposed to.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 5:09 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I have heard of city tax, that is why I live in Texas. We don't even have state income tax!
    Gene_Godwin

Answer by Gene_Godwin at 7:41 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• HotMama - that's the ridiculous part. My DH has worked for the same company for 13 years, we've owned this house for almost 6 years. Our city is 2%, the city he works in is 2%, his company has been taking the correct amount out. I had to spend two hours on the stupid forms just to show that he paid what he should have. IDK, it just seemed like a big waste of time.
    Scuba

Comment by Scuba (original poster) at 11:00 AM on Aug. 24, 2010