Bad tempertantrums.

My son is 2 and is going through that stage of "terrible twos" and he is throwing bad temper tantrums if he doesn't get a snack, or if I don't allow him to be outside after a certain time. Ive tried everything from 2 minute times out on the stairs until he calms down. Taking away favorite toys, Ive taken away other privileges such as his half hr of tv time and Ive also put him to bed a half hour earlier than he regular bed time. I'm so lost and out of ideas on what I can do!! Can anyone please give me any advise/suggestions!! I really need it.! Thanks!

motherofone1990

Asked by motherofone1990 at 2:41 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son is 2 and he does this also. I just finally kept doing one punishment and he finally listens. He gets a 2 min. timeout and if he is still being bad he goes right back into timeout for another 2 minutes. Then if he keeps going sometimes I have to ignore him until he quits and then he has to ask for what he wants instead of whining or throwing a tantrum. If he goes to throwing a tantrum he does not get what he wanted until the next day, sometimes its hard just to let them sit there and scream but it works for my 2 yr old. I hope this helps.
    mama2005

Answer by mama2005 at 3:42 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I agree with the 1 punishment, also talk to your son after he calms down. My dd got physical in her tantrum phase so I would wrap her arms down with her towel and sit, ignoring her till she stopped. Then I would talk to her, using real basic words.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 4:17 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I either ignore my toddler or let her cry it out. She's been getting a lot better lately. They just have to learn that they can't get everything they want and that you won't cave into them.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 4:37 PM on Aug. 23, 2010