I have a 3 yr old ds. His sinuses are constantly stuffed up. It's to the point he has to breathe through his mouth. It is not a cold, he is healthy. I live in a rural area and don't like the local drs. So I'd like to avoid it. Is there anything that comes to your mind on what could be wrong or any idea of how to clear him up? Thanks!!

Asked by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Jun. 30, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• you could put him in the bathroom and run a hot bath ... the steam may help his chest. You could do a vapor bath. What's worked really great for my dd is putting mentholatum on her feet and putting socks on. They absorb it. You could do that on thier chest as well. Good Luck!

Answer by kinzleysmommy at 10:38 AM on Jun. 30, 2008

• Sounds like allergies to me.

Answer by vbruno at 10:55 AM on Jun. 30, 2008

• I've had sinus & allergy problems all my life. There's something natural called Xlear. It's a nasal spray. It's made from a sugar we already have in our body. It's non-addictive and you can spray it as often as you need to. I use it every night before bed. You buy it online (just do a search for it). It's inexpensive and works great. The very best thing you can do it to take him off of milk and milk products to see if it's a milk allergy. They're very common. Take him off of all that for 2 weeks and see if it goes away. If it does, there's your answer. Now, I have milk allergies and I can't drink milk but I can eat milk products as long as I don't do it all the time. Milk creates mucous which is why so many people have problems. Milk is in a lot of things so check labels. If I get completely off milk and I accidentally eat something with a little in it I get very sick. So, I've learned that it's better to keep a little in my diet so I don't have extreme reactions. God bless.

Answer by jackimci at 11:12 AM on Jun. 30, 2008

• get a cold misting humidifier for his room and before his bath let the hot water run for a few minutes to allow some steam to accumulate or if he gets really bad at night sit him in front of the freezer with the door open or a car ride with the windows open (these were ideas my doctor gave me for my little boy)

Answer by mfialdrdickhaus at 12:45 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• Hi, my son has had a terrible time with his sinus and allergies as well. My son takes zyrtec whic is now over the counter and nasalcrom which is also over the counter. Another we had to do with our son was have his adnoids removed. His ENT did it when he put his ear tubes in. I could not believe the difference it made in his breathing. Tanner wa a heavy breather and snored real bab before and he no longer does either one and his nose stays a lot clearer. Good luck!!

Answer by redtang912 at 3:15 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• allergies

Answer by nineteen at 7:19 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• sinus problems or allergies - you should het him looked at by a specialist - so most likely there are no specialists in rural america so you wont have to worry about local docs

Answer by vakatia at 11:37 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• you live in a rural area? allergies comes to mind. you could try some childrens zyrtec over the counter to clear up the stuffiness.

Answer by princezzmommie at 11:47 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• children's claritin is very good my son too suffers with allergies and we live in the city and i was recommended this by his dr. and it works just fine. good luck

Answer by justwingingit at 10:26 AM on Jul. 2, 2008

• Have you tried taking him off of milk and wheat products? A lot of the every day products we use in our homes cause allergies. If you would like to hear about a safer alternative to them that has helped a lot of families with asthma and allergies PM me. Hope this helps.

Answer by MentorByDesign at 2:16 PM on Jul. 8, 2008