Hi again I asked if it was normal for a 13 month old to have such a bad temper I forgot to say that today we were at the park & wanted to take him off the swing & he again clenched his fists stated crying so i just kept on swinging him I just dont want to end up with a spolied brat should I of disaplined him ??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Never discipline a child for expressing their emotions, (especially this young of age!). What I would have done is just picked him up and said some words to console him like "we'll come back and swing again another time" or "c'mon we're gonna go buh-byes now". You won't spoil him by giving in every now and then, but you should feel comfortable doing what you want to do even if he doesn't like it sometimes. Just don't get upset in return or get angry or frustrated with him. The best way to encourage a behavior to stop is to ignore it, so when he throws a tantrum stay calm, gently console him, but don't go overboard - just act like it's normal and OK for him to feel upset sometimes, which it IS.
    KatieLou23

Answer by KatieLou23 at 12:35 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• All I can really say is I spoiled my daughter because I had her when I was 21 and she looked just like me so it was really hard...also I was the product of a Roman Catholic family but a rebel so I didn't want her to grow up in hard conditions...looking back it was bad of me to NOT discipline her, but now I'm dealing with 6 year old telling me shit. You can't break their spirit according to my MIL, but at the same time I want happy free spirits like me :)

idk but you can discipline a toddler, but if they are only 13 months old then there really isn't anything you can do but say no. and teach them no and you mean it.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 1:59 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I wouldn't have disciplined but I wouldn't have kept swinging him either. My two year old will cry and throw a fit when it's time to go but he will get up put back what he was playing with (ie. a toy at the store we are NOT getting) and will come with me. I let him throw his fit but he does NOT get his way. I think that is what is KEY in not having a spoiled brat. We also give rewords for good behavior like a new (cheap) car or a popsicle!! That way when he does something good He knows it!! Good Luck and Stick to your GUNS!!
    Leauna
    Leauna

Answer by Leauna at 2:58 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Disciplining a child so young may be fruitless but you have to avoid setting yourself up for disaster. Let him know next time that there will be other chances but we have to go. And stick to it no matter if he cries. If you don't, he will learn that crying gets him what he wants which will turn into bad tantrums later. If you say it is time to go, it is time to go. Don't let him dictate, you are the mom. But discipline for a child this age is really sticking to what you say.
    KEHMom

Answer by KEHMom at 9:39 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Like the others said, no need to discipline, but maybe next time that happens, you should just unclench his fists from the swing and leave. Even if he is in the middle of a temper tantrum and you feel the whole park is staring at you! That will teach him that what you say is golden. If you give in each time, he will throw a tantrum each time and it will progressively turn in to more and more of a tantrum and be even harder to break.

Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 10:24 AM on Oct. 9, 2008