anyone else teach their toddler sign language?

i showed my son more, please, and thank you in sign language several months ago, and it's sooooo cute that he actually uses them! in fact tonight i was asking him for 'more' kisses and he grabbed my hands and made me make the sign for more :)

i don't really know a lot of sign language, but still i think it's awesome how wee ones can communicate with it when they can't actually say the word. wish i knew some more! like maybe the potty words ;)

prettyrayray

Asked by prettyrayray at 12:34 AM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• There are plenty of resources to help YOU learn more to teach to your little one online, complete with videos.

http://www.mybabycantalk.com/content/dictionary/dictionaryofsigns.aspx?letter=A

My daughter knows about 10-20 signs. I'm fluent in sign language, and we communicate often with the deaf, so she will eventually have to learn it.
    catwalksymphony

Answer by catwalksymphony at 12:45 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I love "Signing Time" DVD's. Visit www.signingtime.com .I borrow mines from the public library. I 've been showing sign language DVD's since my kids were babies. They are now 2.
    mrs.pencil

Answer by mrs.pencil at 12:47 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• oh how awesome! i wish i knew of these things (duh i could have googled!) because he's talking really well now! but still, after having 2 kids and not having anymore (dada's fixed!), i really advocate baby sign language :)
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 1:09 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I did! It was so helpful. We used the "My Baby Can Talk" series.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:16 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Yes, the signing times DVD's are wonderful. Ameena watches them all the time!
    akhlass

Answer by akhlass at 1:27 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Babies (ok 2 year old toddlers) grabbing your hands and making YOU sign is just too precious! omg I didn't even want a boy, and he is so freakin cute! He made me sign! haha am i just being funky mom LOL!!!!!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 1:55 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• i signed with mine.. and loved it.
    My only problem was.. my youngest at the time.. decided not to talk in public .. If someone asked them a question.. like.. What's your name.. he would sign to them.. and get mad they didn't know what he was "saying" It was hard to get him to actually TALK to people ..
    On the bright side.. it's great to be able to communicate with them.. especially across a crowded room and you dont' have to yell.
    Can't wait to get the baby started.
    4xmommy2008

Answer by 4xmommy2008 at 2:45 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I LOVED signing to the toddlers at the daycare where I worked!! I LOVED it when they signed BACK to me!! It's so rewarding, and they will sometimes learn to sign before they can talk, so it's a major communications breakthrough.My daughter still works there and i pop in now and then and visit. It's thrilling to me to watch them sign!!
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 3:07 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• i want to teach my daughter more we got a little book that has like 10 signs in them and she cought on so quick
    klinemom2

Answer by klinemom2 at 11:29 PM on Oct. 9, 2008