Has anyone who has a child with Autism tried the ABA ( Applied Behavior Analysis)program for treatment?

mrs.pencil

Asked by mrs.pencil at 12:40 AM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Kids' Health

• I've worked with children who utilize the ABA method (in addition to Occupational & Speech therapies). I've seen it be very successful. It requires a lot of dedication on the parent's behalf and is very intensive, but well worth it. Let me know if I can answer any other Q's for you.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 9:16 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Yes, I live in CA and the state pays for it. Otherwise we could never afford it.

It has been WONDERFUL. You need to be involved and know what programs are being run and back up the teaching methods.

It is soooo worth it.
    thisnametaken

Answer by thisnametaken at 3:55 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• My son has just started it. It takes a lot of dedication and is very time consuming. I am not sure if the outcomes of it are worth it we are still in our 1st week. The state I live in does not pay for it and it is very expensive. Be sure to check with ur insurance co to see if they cover it or not. We are looking at about $30,000/yr just in ABA therapist.
    redtang912

Answer by redtang912 at 10:05 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• We don't do any therapies here. However, there are a bunch of autism groups on here that could probably help you out.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:19 AM on Oct. 11, 2008

• i going to be starting hopefully in June i heard its really good and there the child does improve, i live in RI... the insurance pays for my child he's on medicaid...
    kmanivanh1983

Answer by kmanivanh1983 at 10:57 PM on May. 4, 2009