no milk?

My sister's daughter has food allergies.

My sister has learned that even though her dd qualifies for the free lunch program at school she can't get it because of her allergies.

So my sister sends her daughter lunch with her.

Now, this I don't get. My sister asked if she could have a free milk because she is intitled to a free lunch.

Nope, can't do that. We're not allowed to give out free milk.

so she can't have the free lunch she is intitled to because she can't eat every thing on they tray and she can't have a free milk instead.

With so many kids with allergies, why hasn't anyone figured out how to fix this.

why can't she have the milk?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:56 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in

• I don't think that's right...
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:58 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• that's just plain stupid! you know how much milk they end up throwing away usually? and if she qualifies for free lunch they should give it to her... i would be calling some principals, school admin, SOMEBODY!
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 3:00 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• my son has allergies too. his is,....he is allergic to Milk, he qualifies for free lunch & his school has a form to fill out for allergy restrictions and the school can provide a dairy free lunch for him. but I choose to send his meal till he's old enough to watch out for his-self.

northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 3:02 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• That seems silly - if you qualify for free/reduced lunch, why on earth can't you have milk?? Would they rather she take the whole lunch and throw it away? Can your sister contact someone higher up in the school and ask about this?
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 3:09 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• When I was in school free lunch was broken down by free milk and free lunch. Seems silly not to offer both options.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 3:39 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I agree with you OP!
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:50 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Talk to the food service director and the school nurse.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 7:51 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• That seems silly to me too. So kids with allergies have to take the whole lunch and throw away half of it instead of just taking what they can eat. What a waste :(
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 9:17 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• That is ridiculous!
    Kisses4Henry

Answer by Kisses4Henry at 7:27 PM on Aug. 28, 2010

• most schools deal with allergies as a HUGE lump... and milk is an allergen... around here you are either "allergic" (to one or more things on the list that label you) or "non allergic" meaning NO food allergies.
    if you are on the "allergic" list you get nothing provided from the school at all.
    i don't see anything wrong with it... i wouldn't want a school lunch person to be responsible for my child's health... but that is just me.
    asil

Answer by asil at 8:28 PM on Aug. 28, 2010