Immunization exemption explanation

I do not immunize my daughter for personal reasons, and in my state you have to fill out an exemption paper stating your reasons for not vaccinating your child. This is specifically for the daycare I am enrolling my daughter in. I have tons and tons of reasons, but I feel a bit nervous when I'm filling out a government document. The statement only calls for about four lines.. What would you write?

jennielou

Asked by jennielou at 2:58 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Health

• Prioritize your reasons in you r head and then list several.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:01 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Hmm. I would tell the truth... list your reasons concisely and without seeming like you doubt yourself.

If worse comes to worst, do what my mom did - say it's because of religion.
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 3:01 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Most places will only accept religious reasons.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:01 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• what are the reasons acceptable in your state? some allow only religious while some allow philisophical, religious and medical find outwhat is allowed and then work your reasons in to fit the criteria.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 3:02 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• What state are you? In CA you just have to sign it, you don't have to list any reasons.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 3:02 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Just state in simple terms why you have chosen to take the exemption. It is funny how most people don't realize that public schools cannot deny admission because your child hasn't been immunized. Exemptions include religion and medical reasons. As long as you have filled out the proper form...you child can go, without shots.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 3:03 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• i really dont think they read it but list the most important reasons and if u need more room attach a separate page!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 3:03 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• In my State there are no exemptions for daycare or preschool, only public school. The reasoning being that since you do not HAVE to put your child in daycare, if you make the choice to do so then you must also vaccinate. In public school you have a choice because your children are required by law to go to school. You may want to double check?
    I would just state that due to extensive research, you have decided not to vaccinate your daughter at this time. You feel that the risks outweigh the benefits and are not willing to take that chance with your daughters health.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 3:03 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• If you aren't going to immunize you shouldn't put your child in day care. You are putting your child and the other children at risk. If you have to work then there are other options. You could hire someone to care for her in your home or take her to someone's home that doesn't have kids or only cares for her own kids and knows you child isn't immunized.

My own children and grandson are selectively immunized. Years ago when parents were choosing to not immunize they were stay at home moms and homeschooling was common. We weren't putting our kids or others at risk. If you aren't going to immunize there are responsibilities that go along with that decision and that should include keeping your child out of group situations. If your child gets sick even immunized children are at risk since immunization isn't 100%.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:06 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• In most states they only accept religious exemption. I have to claim this, though I have no religion. It is the easiest way out...
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:07 PM on Aug. 23, 2010