Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Child Custody: I need you cafeMommas

I just got done with child support court and found out that my daughters dead-beat dad has a lawyer. I currently moved to TX from FL with her. I didn't think he had motivation to do ANYTHING let alone take me to court. Now I am scared. I am a student and a waitress and cannot afford a lawyer. She is 16 months and he has seen her 3 times in the past 12 months. He is a terrible, irresponsible person. What bothers me is that if he had her, she does not have the voice to tell me what happened. I need advice, support, comfort, and encouragment.

Answer Question

Asked by babywhatnow at 3:02 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

Level 9 (324 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • Get legal advice - Google your state and the words "Bar association" Search that site for pro bono (free) help Each state's bar association has a website. GL

    Answer by elizabr at 3:04 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

  • If you moved out of state the judge can order you to move back or you could lose custody. This happened to a neighbor of mine whos husband was in the military. She went home and was ordered to come back he got temporary custody until she found stable housing and a job. Did he serve you with papers yet?

    Answer by okmommy08 at 3:05 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

  • We were never married. I have a home and job here. Could they still order me to go back. He moved 5 hours away from us long before I moved to TX. No papers yet.

    Comment by babywhatnow (original poster) at 3:08 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

  • You need to come up with a compelling argument Like he never helped you when you lived there, and now you and your child are stable. If you havent got papers yet, he may be telling people he has one, but really dosent lawyers cost quite a bit of money so maybe he dosent have one. If he moved first thats good for your case as well.

    Answer by okmommy08 at 3:14 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

  • Yes, he moved away from us 10 months ago, but still in our state. He owes $2600 in back child-support and was just given a court order. I'm scared Mommas! My baby is my life!

    Comment by babywhatnow (original poster) at 3:22 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

  • You need to find yourself an attorney. If you don't have one, you will loose. Call the local court house, explain your situation and ask them to recommend to you someone who could take on the case for little or no money. You need someone who can fight for you and knows all the laws.

    Answer by HotMama330 at 4:27 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

  • Call your local Legal Aid! You canget help there. I havn't had to deal with child custody prblems but you are in my prayers mam!

    Answer by jellis at 4:45 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.