brave enough to ask again-"if you really knew me"

moms of teens, are you watching this show, and are you asking your teens to watch with you????
many cynical moms have said"oh that's such a naive concept, you are a fool for caring"
well guess what, I do care. Please go to MTV.com, or watch on monday nights,
"if you really knew me"
and to a particular mom, who I really did feel sorry for, NP?
show me proof that its done more harm than good.
again, if it helps to change one persons life, or show one day of compassion, how the hell is that a bad thing?

Bearsjen

Asked by Bearsjen at 3:03 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• Given the diversity of all people I think you'll have those that feel its a good thing, and then you'll have those teens that just think its stupid. While ideally I'd like to think something like this would change the world and have people really understand and empathize with others, its just not going to happen.
    You don't need to sit in a room and listen to everyone's stories to know people are diverse and everyone has formed thoughts and opinions based on their own personal life experience. These are things we need to our teach our children, and we should be doing it with or without a show on TV. Talking about diversity, feelings, life experiences etc, help children learn to be open minded, listen with open hearts and to learn to empathize with others to deal with conflict or disagreements.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 3:51 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I have seen a few minutes of the show but I think it is silly. there is no way that all even half teens in all the schools think this is a great concept. In fact most of them probably think it is stupid. I know if they tried to do it at my school when I was younger I would have just rolled my eyes. I was picked on and know something like this isn't really going to change anything long term.
    luvsmysonjames

Answer by luvsmysonjames at 3:37 PM on Aug. 23, 2010