Do you have a hard time expressing yourself verbally?

I can write with so much passion and really express myself but when it comes to expressing my feelings verbally,especially in a job interview or meeting some bodyI clam up and say the wrong things.I'm wondering why I do this?

countingsparows

Asked by countingsparows at 12:47 AM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Relationships

• Yes! I feel the same way. It's because we have more time to think when we're writing.. Like you know when you're typing and something comes to your mind and before you're done typing the thought you're working on, you lose the other? Writing is just easier. I've found that if I take the time to think before I start talking, it helps. You get a couple of extra seconds to think if you get into the practice of saying "that's a good question" or something along those lines.
    MicahsMom612

Answer by MicahsMom612 at 12:53 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• no trust me. sometimes you really have to think before you speak, gather your thoughts and then express them.
    lovemybeba

Answer by lovemybeba at 12:49 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Yes, I'm the exact same way. I can write alright, but when it comes to being on the spot in an interview or something, I clam up! I just practice and practice and practice the main points and I usually do great. I'm also better at texting or writing my bf than talking to him out loud. Although I'm a high school teacher and I'm awesome at talking to big groups of rowdy kids. Go figure : )
    orangeorbie

Answer by orangeorbie at 1:11 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I know what you mean! I get a lot more nervous talking to people as opposed to writing a letter. This is so stupid and frustrating. I think it has to do with being overly concerned with what people think. Wish I had a helpful tip, but I'll just say I know what you are going through!!!
    3kidz4me

Answer by 3kidz4me at 1:17 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I go to a group therapy session and I have to talk in 3 minutes about my whole life and what I going through.At first I couldn't do this.I had to write all my thoughts down and read them.Then tonight,I didn't look at anybody,I looked down at the floor and concentrated.I was able to say everything I needed to without saying stupid stuff.I was proud of myself,so there's hope for me.--I go to Celebrate Recovery a 12 step Christ centered support group,really works!
    countingsparows

Answer by countingsparows at 1:37 AM on Oct. 9, 2008