My breastfed 4 month old is not taking a formula bottle

She won't even latch to the nipple. She drinks breast milk out of these bottles everyday at daycare. She has accepted it twice before but now refuses!!!!! Anyone else experience this?

ajlarsen

Asked by ajlarsen at 3:17 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yeah, it's because it tastes nasty to her. breastmilk is sweeter than formula.

you just have to keep offering it, she will eventually take when she figures out she's not getting the breast
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 3:18 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I don't blame her, have you tasted that stuff? She's plenty old enough to just take whatever you can manage to pump and make up the rest when you get home.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 3:19 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• yeah, she doesn't like it. Are you trying to give it to her personally? If so, that's not gonna work, because she knows the good stuff is right next to her.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:19 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Formula tastes like ass- she does not recognize it as food, which it isn't.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:20 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• It tastes horrible! She may just want to wait for you. If you can't pump enough and were thinking of using formula at day care you can consider starting solids. La Leche League recommends starting solids at 4 mo if the only other choice is formula supplement. You baby could have solids along with any milk your can provide at day care and breastfeed when with you including at night. Fork mashed banana is a good first solid. Breastfed babies don't need cereal.

http://www.kellymom.com/ is a good breastfeeding website.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:22 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• To all you that voted down these mommas. They are actually correct. A breastfed baby can sustain without through the day or eat solids until the mom can feed them, then, they eat all night to make up for it. So, you all voted down truth as opposed to opinion.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:54 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Yeah, she went 6 hours without eating because she refused (that was when I was away from her only). I am still pumping but thought I could rely on formula for the times I didn't have enough breast milk pumped
    ajlarsen

Comment by ajlarsen (original poster) at 4:00 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• This will help you pump more effectively http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 4:39 PM on Aug. 23, 2010