Can someone please help me out?

My son tripped over an electrical cord and fell and hit his mouth on the wooden part of his bed. It was about nap time when it happened so he was already tired and crabby. I cleaned up the blood, but now he is crying hysterically and won't let me touch him, comfort him, nothing. He is in his bed now so I guess its just one of those situations where I have to wait until he gets so exhausted he passes out. I was wondering if someone could say something to distract me so I won't think about his crying? It hurts me so bad to see him all out of sorts and he won't let me pick him up.

luvsmysonjames

Asked by luvsmysonjames at 3:20 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• Depending on how old he is (seems he can't communicate), he may be experiencing residual pain, could have a fractured jaw/tooth. Keep a close eye on him, I actually dislocated my jaw when I was 6 falling out of a tree (just a few feet up), and hitting it. No one checked, and it took a couple days before they thought to- hurt like hell, couldn't eat, was swollen. All I could do was cry.

Generally I don't worry about stuff like a bonk on the noggin, or a bloody lip- not unless they show signs of trauma... Just take a deep breath, reevaluate what is happening, and be objective.

I know that doesn't make you feel better- some chocolate maybe? :)
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:24 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• They are probably more scared to go to the doctor, if you offer baggie/ ice and a tissue, just let him put the cold ice on his lip, then when he sees it' isn't you doing it, just himself doing it, he'll feel more independent. My son was always too proud to feel he needed help, still is.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 3:29 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I'm sorry mama. My boy gets like that sometimes, wants only his daddy to comfort him. I say keep an eye on him for now but let him sleep and see how he's doing after.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 3:32 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• have you looked to see if anything is badly damaged? how old is he? could his teeth have gone in to his lip badly? i would deal with the screaming and go have a good looksee
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 3:25 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I washed his mouth and face its just a little cut on his lip, but I will keep an eye on him. He is more upset than hurt, its just that it was nap time already so he was already cranky and that was just the straw that broke the camel's back. He is 2.
    luvsmysonjames

Comment by luvsmysonjames (original poster) at 3:28 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Well I guess by now he's had his nap and hopefully got up feeling better. Check the mouth and just see how it looks. If he cut it on the inside, it will heal itself, in due time. It's scarey when they fall and get hurt, and then not to let you attend to him makes you feel worse. Hope he was better after the nap. Give lots of hugs & kisses.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 5:53 PM on Aug. 23, 2010