We have fleas, HELP!

We have 3 cats and they have fleas. And DH and I have been getting bitten alot(havent seen any bites on our 3 year old yet) . Its so bad that I can't sleep...either I am getting bitten in bed or Im just imagining it because I know they are there.(lol) I've seen lots of different ways to deal with it online....But what worked for you? Two of our cats are about 6 months old. Our older cat has open sores around her neck from scratching(so im not sure if I should use that treatment that goes on the neck or neck collar).

Lobelia

Asked by Lobelia at 3:28 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Pets

• I JUST WENT THROUGH THIS!!! Have been flea-free for less than a month!
    My indoor cat got outside for the first time ever in late spring/early summer and he brought backs guests (fleas). We also have 2 indoor teacup Chihuahuas who got the fleas. Once I realized we had fleas we were completely infested!
    We had to hire a professional exterminator. He comes every 2 - 3 weeks & sprays, making sure we are getting all of the little buggers at each stage of their life.
    My animals have been treated with Advantage and Frontline every 3 weeks, alternating between the 2-3 days after each pesticide (Frontline or Advantage) treatment they get a bath w flea shampoo and then weekly (but not more than 2 - 3 days before the next Advantage or Frontline treatment).
    We also removed everything that was not nailed down in the house and wash it in the hottest water possible and if not washable.. had it sit in direct sunlight for @ least 4 hrs
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 8:29 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• We bombed our house and sprayed down our yard with flea killer. And of course treat your pets.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 3:32 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Real lavender oil, and straight white vinegar, both of those are used separate. It won't hurt them, and it's organic. Spray the straight undiluted vingar on your carpet, and the fleas will jump off /

But to kill them, you really have an infestation so get them dipped a lot frequently and keep them in someplace without fleas, like at a friends apt for a while.

Fumigate the house while the cats are out. IT only takes a couple hours.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 3:33 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• We have ticks on our dogs. I've read the chemicals you put on pets for fleas and ticks are bad for animals and people. I've had problems sleeping because there has been a couple of times ticks were on me. Now I think they are on me all the time.

If the cats are used to baths you can put them in water and the fleas with get off. They may crawl up to the head and you can get them off. You can vacuum and wash bedding. There is no perfect solution.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:35 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Call an exterminator. That's the only thing that worked for us. Get the cat treated first and don't put them back in the house until it's cleared up.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:29 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Get organic herbal shampoo, with citronella, geranium, cedar-pine, lavender, (some other good herbs.) Spray the bedding or :...

Fleas will die off with Z3 powder online for $6 bucks.

Put powder in the bedding all over home, and on carpeting.

Zethra I think it's called . ? not sure The powder contains pyrthium and boric acid, which also kills roaches and pyrithim is made from geraniums it kills the lice also plus fleas.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 3:41 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• pyrethium is made from chysanthemums , the african variety, not geraniums, but it has natural toxins for mosquitos, fleas, lice, roaches, and fleas.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 3:44 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• For starters... are they indoor cats? If they aren't, make them so. They are gonna need flea baths and collars. Put a clean bag in your vacuum and a flea collar in it. This way when you vacuum, it kills them in the bag. Vacuum your carpets and upholstery. You can sprinkle a mixture of borax, baking soda, crushed rosemary and lavender onto your carpets and using a broom, work it into the carpet. Let it sit for about 20 minutes. With a clean bag in your vacuum, vacuum the carpet very slowly going forward, backward, left to right so that you get every square inch. When you have finished vacuuming the house...take the bag outside and dispose of it. There used to be a product on the market that was a device with a nightlight and a tray with a sticky pad. At night, the light draws the fleas and they stick to the pad and die. Put them near beds and couches. Good luck....
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 3:46 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Yes they are indoor cats, however last week or so the older cat pushed the basement window screen out and kept getting outside. She got out 3 times beofre we figured out where she was getting out. Thanks for all the ideas!
    Lobelia

Comment by Lobelia (original poster) at 4:57 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Get a box of borax powder and sprinkle it on any rugs and all bedding and other furniture. Leave it for about 30 minutes and then vacuum it up. It's safe for pets and it works. We have ten cats and we have no trouble with fleas at all.
    L.A.F.outloud

Answer by L.A.F.outloud at 8:14 PM on Aug. 23, 2010