can y'all believe how easy kids have it these days???

Shoot when I was a kid and it was going to be my first day going into jr. high it was figure it out on your own. Nowadays it's called 7th grade orientation let's meet the teachers and be walked to each of our classes and listen to what's required of each teacher then the teach them how to open their locker (holy freak!) I was never taught that I spent 2 days locked outta my locker til I got the hang of it LOL! then a treat after all that's said and done..How would that have been when we all went to jr. high for the first time 23 years ago???

chica679

Asked by chica679 at 3:31 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in

• I know how funny how things have changed. But I believe its for the better, just trying to make the kids feel comfortable in a new environment
    jennient3

Answer by jennient3 at 3:33 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I was in Jr. High over 30 years ago.... LOL

I couldn't tell you what the first day, first week, even first month of school was like for me... hahahahaaa All I know is I went to the first day of school, and survived it... LAMO
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:35 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I was in junior high 30 years ago and we had orientation too.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:38 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• 27 years ago for me! lol We did have to learn a lot on our own back then, not so sure that that was a bad thing to be honest.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 3:39 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I went to a private school so jr high was in the same building as K-6 and it was the same 20 kids all the time. It really sucked. When I went to high school, we had freshman orientation. We didn't get molly coddled like the kids you described, we just had an extra day of school so we could learn the building and meet each other before the upper classmen started classes the next day.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 3:45 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Aw I guess I'm the youngster here. My junior high didn't have any of those, well the school I went to for 9th grade did but 7th and 8th ( I went to 3 different junior highs) I went to two different schools and didn't have that. It would have been nice. Here 7th through 9th is middle school. I was in middle school 10 years ago. Wow has it really been that long......
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:45 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I was in jr. high like 10 years ago and we didn't get any of that. My sister is in jr. high now and they don't. Neither do the kids around here. Maybe it's just because we live in small towns, so they don't bother with all that? I don't really think they have it easier. In some ways they might, but in others it's way worse.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 4:01 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I started 7th grade 15 years ago. But it was called middle school and started in 6th grade, ended in 8th. On the first day of 6th grade we went to homeroom (just walked around until you saw your name on the paper outside the door). They gave us a piece of paper with locker directions and a map of the school and sent us to the first class. No big deal. Sink or swim, we all swam :-)
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 4:03 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I know when I was in Jr High I had to figure everything out on my own! Now kids have it so easy. I was lost for the first week because I didn't know where my classes were, I constantly forgot my locker combination and I didn't even know what my classes were until I got to school the first day
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 5:41 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I didn't go to a separate junior high. Most of the school where I lived were K-8. But I did move and change to a new school before starting 7th grade. I arrived the first day and had no clue where to go until a teacher came out and told me which line to go in. There were 3 7th grade classes and 2 8th grade classes on one floor. It wasn't complicated and no lockers. My first experience with lockers and cafeterias was high school and I had to have an upperclassman show me how to unlock my lock because I had no clue how they worked. They were standing in the hall after homeroom the first week to help us slower kids, lol. We did have orientation the day before classes started in high school. The freshmen went in the morning and the older kids came after lunch for a half day.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:22 AM on Aug. 24, 2010