am i a bad mom for wanting time alone?

I dropped my kids off at summer day camp this morning. My 8 year old was having a bad morning but she wanted to go. So, I told the counseler to call me if she feel worse I would be home all day. I didn't have to work today and wanted to spend the day cleaning and catching up on house hold stuff. The counsler said "must be nice to just pawn your kids off and do what you want". Is she correct for wanting to do the stuff without the kids. I don't do house hold stuff on the weekends because we spend the time together as a family.

shawna694

Asked by shawna694 at 3:32 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• F@CK that counselor. That's all I have to say. We all need time away from our kids.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 3:33 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• that was very rude and inappropriate of the counselor to say.

when my son was in daycare, since I paid for the whole week, I'd take him on my days off sometimes just to get a break and get things done.

you are definitely not a bad mom for that.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 3:34 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• F**k No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sometimes you need a day!!!!!!
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 3:35 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• OK WOW that was WAY out of line for you to be talked to that way. very disrespectful. there is NOTHING wrong wiht having a break for you and the kids. i would talk to someone in charge of the place because what if that person is saying rude things to your child?
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 3:35 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• No, you are 100% in the right. You are PAYING them and regardless of wether you have to work or not, your kid should go to the camp or basically you WASTED all that $$.

Time for yourself is so important. It helps to recharge your batteries and makes you a better parent. Personally, I would have reported the counsellor. A person with that attitude is not someone I want watching my kid.
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 3:35 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Wow, what a bitch! Only working parents send their kids to camp? I don't think so! I crave alone time.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:36 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Nope... we all need time alone now and then... We all need "me" time now and then.. We are all human, being a mother/wife does not change that fact. We have needs, we have down times, we have up times, we have stressful times, etc.. Just like any other woman.. Being a mother does not automatically take those needs away.. If anything. Being a mother, makes those needs more glaringly obvious and being a mother gives someone even more reason to need those things.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:36 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I think as mothers, we all want and need time alone!
    Brittney20

Answer by Brittney20 at 3:38 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Is she kidding? I'd be trying to get her ass fired. You PAY to send your kids to summer camp. You are NOT pawning them off.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 3:38 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• – collapse

YOU people might need time away from your kids but I don't. To say all parents need that timealone  is a generalization that is wrong.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 3:39 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 (hidden) + expand