I am ready to start birth control now that my baby is 6 weeks old. I have always taken Ortho-tricyclene but have read that it can lower milk prodution. The doctor prescribed it saying that since I have breastfeed 6 weeks, it should be fine. Has anyone had a problem with the pill and milk production?

siren77

Asked by siren77 at 3:44 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have not had a problem with milk production and that pill. I did with the depo shot though.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 3:49 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• That's funny....because it is suppose to be the opposite. Good to know.
    siren77

Comment by siren77 (original poster) at 3:51 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I had no problem with the pill and milk production. I had gotten pregnant with my 3rd on the minipill, so after she was born my dr put me on the regular pill.

Answer by missanc at 3:53 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• On the mini pill I was still having mid-cycle bleeding (which was normal for me pre-baby), so I tried a "normal" pill (I forget which one it was, I know for sure it wasn't tricyclene). Everything was fine for the first couple of weeks, but then my milk production completely tanked. At that point DD was about 6 months old. From that time until she stopped taking bottles at day care (about 12 months old) I was stuck taking ... crap I forget the name of it, but a prescription pill to help milk supply ... daily. And that pill sucks (dizzy). If I had to do it over again, I'd just stick with condoms. They're much easier.

I didn't notice any milk supply issues with the mini pill, but beware of the regular pills.

Good luck!
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 3:55 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Mini pill only with nursing. Sometimes even the mini pill is too strong. Regular birch control pills are the fasted way to dry up your supply.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 3:58 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Birth control pills with estrogen are known supply killers. The mini-pill (no estrogen) is safer. But some moms still have problems. Non-hormonal methods are preferred.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:35 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• ortho tri cyclen can decrease your milk supply! look for another option.
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 6:48 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• if you want help making sure that you don't dry up, try this tea, it helped for me. its called mother's milk by traditional medicinals. they have a web site. as for the pill, you can switch to the idu, that thing they stick up inside you, i still have mine in. plus you don't have to worry bout missing doses. it don't come out for five years or when you want it to.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 7:57 PM on Aug. 23, 2010