I am ready to start birth control now that my baby is 6 weeks old. I have always taken Ortho-tricyclene but have read that it can lower milk prodution. The doctor prescribed it saying that since I have breastfeed 6 weeks, it should be fine. Has anyone had a problem with the pill and milk production?

Asked by siren77 at 3:44 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have not had a problem with milk production and that pill. I did with the depo shot though.

Answer by Soniam301 at 3:49 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• That's funny....because it is suppose to be the opposite. Good to know.

Comment by siren77 (original poster) at 3:51 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I had no problem with the pill and milk production. I had gotten pregnant with my 3rd on the minipill, so after she was born my dr put me on the regular pill.

Answer by missanc at 3:53 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• On the mini pill I was still having mid-cycle bleeding (which was normal for me pre-baby), so I tried a "normal" pill (I forget which one it was, I know for sure it wasn't tricyclene). Everything was fine for the first couple of weeks, but then my milk production completely tanked. At that point DD was about 6 months old. From that time until she stopped taking bottles at day care (about 12 months old) I was stuck taking ... crap I forget the name of it, but a prescription pill to help milk supply ... daily. And that pill sucks (dizzy). If I had to do it over again, I'd just stick with condoms. They're much easier.

I didn't notice any milk supply issues with the mini pill, but beware of the regular pills.

Good luck!

Answer by coder_chick at 3:55 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Mini pill only with nursing. Sometimes even the mini pill is too strong. Regular birch control pills are the fasted way to dry up your supply.

Answer by LeanneC at 3:58 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Birth control pills with estrogen are known supply killers. The mini-pill (no estrogen) is safer. But some moms still have problems. Non-hormonal methods are preferred.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:35 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• ortho tri cyclen can decrease your milk supply! look for another option.

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 6:48 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• if you want help making sure that you don't dry up, try this tea, it helped for me. its called mother's milk by traditional medicinals. they have a web site. as for the pill, you can switch to the idu, that thing they stick up inside you, i still have mine in. plus you don't have to worry bout missing doses. it don't come out for five years or when you want it to.

Answer by noel1978 at 7:57 PM on Aug. 23, 2010