Getting ready for Open House

& I have some questions to ask, but I was wondering what are some of the things you've asked your child's (Children's) Teachers?

lilmoosesmom

Asked by lilmoosesmom at 3:55 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• In my experience, the teachers usually address most of what the parents need to know without anyone having to ask. I NEVER have prepared questions but just wait and see if I have a question or concern as the open house moves along. It goes much more smoothly that way, if everyone allows the teacher a chance to lay out her plans and expectations, and then if you still have a question, go for it. Good luck--we have our open house next week!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 4:06 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I can't help it. Im really antsy about him going to school. first time...........
    lilmoosesmom

Comment by lilmoosesmom (original poster) at 4:09 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Awww, I know, but you'll be fine. Have you met his teacher yet, and did you like her (or him)? I've had kids in school for a few years now, and all the most competent teachers just kind of took the reins at open house, letting the parents know all the important stuff without us having to wrack our brains to try to figure out what we need to know. There should also be an opportunity for parents to ask questions or make suggestions as well. Do keep in mind that's open house is more of a general informational meeting--if you have numerous questions or concerns specific to your child, it's definitely better to initiate a phone call or e-mail exchange with the teacher at another time. Again, good luck, I hope all goes smoothly and that you find out everything you need to know for your son to have a successful year.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 4:15 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• No I haven't. Thats why we are going to open house. The school said that they would mail a letter with the childrens teacher & such but never did. Friday when I went to the school they didn't even have the lists ready. I was soo mad. So we have no clue, which isn't helping any. A friend of mine is going through a hard time with her childs teacher (its his first year too & has only been in school a week!!)) So Im kind of worried....
    lilmoosesmom

Comment by lilmoosesmom (original poster) at 4:21 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Oh, I'm sorry. Our district does a "sneak-a-peek" a few days before school starts for you to come in, drop off classroom supplies, and meet the teacher. Then school starts, and a couple of weeks later, they do the actual "open house", where the teacher talks about her plans for the year, the way she likes things to operate, and the expectations she has for children and parents. I thought that's what you were doing.
    I'd be a little bit miffed if I had not received a letter that was promised, but try not to take it as a bad omen. GL!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 4:30 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Im a little miffed, & when I went Friday I wasnt told anything. That really upset me ALOT......... I wanted to plan a meeting with the teacher before School to talk about my son, & how we can keep him out of trouble when he gets bored. Bc Im pretty sure He'll be getting bored..
    lilmoosesmom

Comment by lilmoosesmom (original poster) at 4:39 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• We met our teachers 4 days before school started then after 3 weeks we have the open house...
    Since my son is special needs our conversation consisted of me asking 'Did you get a copy of his IEP?' Her saying she had been over it and me saying 'Oh, good I don't have to explain anything!' :0)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:46 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Ask them what the day will be like and what her plan will be for when he gets bored. Most teachers have a plan for that. It's OK to ask her anything about the day. If she doesn't have an answer, then she will find one for you.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 7:12 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• =) I met my sons teacher, she seems a little on the young side, but I like her. She had little gifts for the kids once they found their seat. She wants to see all his "work" as he calls it so she can help me figure out whats best for him. She was pretty good about answering everything & the few I had that I couldn't answer she promised to have an answer by the 30th *he goes in for a one on one meeting with the teacher that day.

It wasn't as bad as I was thinking. Lets hope I dont cry like a baby once the first day comes.
    lilmoosesmom

Comment by lilmoosesmom (original poster) at 7:16 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• YAY! I am glad it went well. I hope your son enjoys school as much as my kids do!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:15 PM on Aug. 23, 2010