Eick. Terrible two at one

Okay so my 13 mo. old has been testing my patience. I swear he is going through terrible twos. He throws himself on the ground. Screams. Crabby all the time. Screams when you tell him no. Just freaks out when he doesnt get his way. What can I do as a mom? Does it get better? Is it going to get worse at 2? LOL. Please moms I need some advice and maybe uplifting stories as well.

Nikky0803PAG

Asked by Nikky0803PAG at 3:58 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Mommy.. all kids temperments are different.. and I KNOW how you are feeling because I have a strong willed little boy and all I am surrounded by are obedient children and I have been reading every parenting/sleep habits / raising boys book out there since he was born so It isn't lack of methods ore trying on my part - granted I know its not his "fault" but he has a temperment I don't understand, however... my husband does because I birthed a smaller version of him.. to the T...!! lol!! but all he can do is apologize to me for what we are going to go through since he's so naughty too lol!! your son will be well mannered, we will just be tested each and every step of the way ... I understand how you are feeling, I promise.. email if you want to vent or share some stories so you don't feel so alone Lol!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:13 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• My mother told me 'it's not the terrible 2'. It's the terrible 1's, 2's, 3's, 4's, 5's, 6's, all the way up 18 and then some. It doesn't get better. I just gets different.' She was a wise woman. :0)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:04 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Terrible two's refers to a child's 2nd year,so that would start at 13 months.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:59 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• lol.. my son started at 7 months if it makes you feel better, and technically it was at birth with his colic til 6 months lol!! My son is turning 3 in Nov and I am terrified for how he's been acting lately and his fits.. up until now it was my favorite age so far.. watching him learn and grow and talk and wonder about things...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:01 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• See, I thought my son went through terrible two's at 1, then he turned two and it got worse!!! I'm still there so sorry I'm not good for much advice. The only advice I ever get is "just wait 'til 3...." Lucky me! Best I know to do is just keep my patience and pray for the day it gets better lol.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 4:02 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Try to think about it from their perspective....it's very frustrating to not be able to communicate yet but wanting so badly to have something (whatever that is - in my youngest's case it's usually my cell phone or the remote control)
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 4:05 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• lol yea terrible 2 is horrible... not sure if it gets better as they get older, they just have different ways to express their feelings than to scream and cry!! lol We have to wait til they get 18 and then we can throw the fits :) lol
    Brittney20

Answer by Brittney20 at 4:07 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Well I hope it gets better I always wanted to try and raise a very respectable mannered child. But the way its going now I feel like Im going to have a hell raiser. And the worst part my friends who have kids around the same age claim their kids dont do it. So I feel like mine is out of control.
    Nikky0803PAG

Comment by Nikky0803PAG (original poster) at 4:08 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• My toddler is 21 months. She started her terrible twos early, too, and now that she's getting close to 2 she's getting a lot better. I will not put up with trantrums. Usually if I ignore her she'll stop after a while. If she doesn't I'll either put her into time out or into her bed and tell her I'll come back for her when she calms downs. I let her cry it out. Her tantrums are always about her not getting her way and as painful as it is to listen to her cry I want her to learn she can't always get it her way.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 4:15 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• My kid is crazy too. He is 2 and still needs at least a one hour nap for me to stay sane. He gets far to cranky without it. and he has to go to bed early enough to get enough sleep before 8am. Eating enough and sleeping enough are key. Also making sure nothing else is bothering him. When he's teething he really acts out...because his mouth hurts. Even so he still can be hard to deal with sometimes. You are not alone.
    Elastigirl818

Answer by Elastigirl818 at 4:18 PM on Aug. 23, 2010