question about a colonosgraphy

I have to have one done the 7th, but I am supose to start my period that same week. Can you get one done if you are on your period or do you have to reschedule?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:05 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in About CafeMom

• Here is an answer:

It depends on the indication (reason) for which the colonoscopy is being performed. If it is a simple screening colonoscopy then it is advised to wait until the period is over. The reason is that colonoscopy has a risk for perforation and bleeding. Bleeding from a perforated colon in addition to bleeding from the period may lead to a tremendous blood loss.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 10:29 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I am a stage III colon cancer survivor. So, I've had more of these than I'd like to admit. LOL. Generally speaking your period isn't an issue as long as you use tampons, not pads. The best thing to do is call your doctor's office, let them know your concern. They will let you know if they want you to rescedule or not.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 4:13 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• If a colonosgraphy is anything like a colonoscopy, you need to reschedule - you're naked from the waist down.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:06 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Not sure, look it up on the net..try webmd or something.. goodluck :) Hope everything goes good.. they make it look simple on dr. oz lol
    Brittney20

Answer by Brittney20 at 4:09 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I really don't know but call the doctor and ask. I would think it would make you more comfortable to reschedule.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:10 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I can't wear tamopns. I one bleed to heavy to use them and 2 I never was able to get them in right lol
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:16 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Then call your doctor and see what they say.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 4:18 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I honestly don't know, but if it were me, I'd call the Dr's office to be sure and reschedule on what he says, he's the Dr.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 1:26 PM on Aug. 24, 2010