For those on Social Security Medical Disability, how did you obtain Medicare? Do I have to apply for it?

I've become disabled as of May 2009. I started receiving benefits in November 2009. How do I become eligible for Medicare? I went on the SS website and there is a spot to apply.

What did you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:13 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Money & Work

• Yes you have to apply for the medical
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 4:15 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• You need to got to the office and apply. The online way may be less personal and take longer.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 4:17 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Yes you have to apply for it, and you have to be considered disabled for 2 years to be eligible for Medicare.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 4:22 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• You have to apply for Medicaid. I believe Medicare is for over age 65.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 4:30 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Yes, you need to apply. They would have no other way of knowing you qualify for it. And yes, Medicare is for 65 and over. Medicaid is for everyone else.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 4:53 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• You have to apply for medicaid regardless of whether you're on disability or not. Go to your local DHS website to find out how. Or you can find out through your state government's website.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:15 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• It's best to apply in person at their office.

How to Qualify for Medicare

Medicare is America's healthcare system for people at least 65 years old.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 7:45 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• You can apply for Medicare if you are not yet 65 but as the above poster said you have to be disabled for 2 years and you have to bring a lot of forms back and forth to your doctor. Start the process now because it can take them a long time to make a determination. Some states have disability through Medicaid (the state run program) that you can qualify for until the Federal program (Medicare) makes it's determination. At that point the Federal decision takes precedence. If Medicare/Social Security says you are not disabled then the State follows suit.

Good luck!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:35 PM on Aug. 23, 2010