Need some support from other mommies who have 2 year old sons who refuse to potty train!

My 2 1/2 year old son understands that mommy and daddy use the potty but he has no interest at all! He will sit on his potty chair with his shorts pulled down but his diaper on. I am also not wanting to let me son run around naked like I have heard others do. HELP?!?!

kelley_educator

Asked by kelley_educator at 4:21 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son will sit on the toilet but will hardly ever go in it. I think a lot of my son's issues is that he likes the attention his baby sister gets and he is milking it
    Panopel

Answer by Panopel at 4:23 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• 2 and a half is probably too young. Boys generally take longer. Don't rush him, it justs frustrates everyone. Do not let others push you. My step sister (much older) was always at me. I had to decide that she was not going to make it a problem for me. He is very young.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:24 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I am taking it slow with my boys I don't want to force them or they wont do it. They will gt frustrated and annoyed and will resent the idea. Since I haven't been pressuring it my oldest is taking an interest now and is willing to go potty..
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 4:26 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• No, you are not alone and I get bashed on all the time about it - I have TRIED and been consistent and tried everything I can think of and asked my daycare provider and my son turns 3 in Nov.. he is NOT doing it yet..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:26 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• My son will be three in September and he is still not potty trained!! I thought it was absolutely ridiculus but the lady at the Family Children Center (parenting class place) said that it was perfectly normal that boys take longer because they are slower to develop than girls.. I still think its crazy. Ill ask him if he needs to go and he'll tell me no and I try and he tells me no... Its frusturating lol
    ladybugky88

Answer by ladybugky88 at 5:24 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Been there, done that.. Save you sanity and try this. We attempted to get our son to sit on his potty once a day (first with a diaper then without). When we got to the point where he'd sit willingly and usually pee, we started potty training. It took us several months of trying daily to get him to this point.. Then start training with whatever approach you're comfortable with.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 5:28 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Give him time. I started when DS turned 2 - he wanted nothing to do with it even though he knew all about it. We tried every month for 2-4 days - and it never went well, and I was NOT going to push him. Right before his 3rd birthday it was like a light switch went on - he was day trained in 2 days and night trained before the week was over. He just hadn't been ready before that. It's been 5 months and he's only had maybe 4 pee accidents and 2 poop accidents (the poop accidents were in his sleep, due to eating something he's sensitive to).
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 5:58 PM on Aug. 23, 2010