When to get rid of the sippy cup?

Brittney20

Asked by Brittney20 at 4:22 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just depends on how he/she does with a real cup and how willing you are to clean up the messes. My twins had sippy cups up to about 2 and a half I think. They did well drinking from bottles - like bottles water or juice boxes and such. Start with regular cups of water outside so you don't have to worry about messes. For me the sippies had to go cause they were a pain to clean and sometimes they spilled stuff anyways. Toys R Us has some great plastic mugs that are very cute for about $8 each and are perfect for little hands. They don't tip over easy either and my girls hardly spill them.
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 4:24 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I'm in no rush, DD is almost 2 and uses the ones w/out a suction but doesn't really care for a lidless cup. She uses straws too.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 4:24 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Thanks :) Yea my girl has to have her sippy everytime she takes a nap or goes to sleep...i just think it might be time for me to start trying to take it away..its just hard
    Brittney20

Comment by Brittney20 (original poster) at 4:27 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• my 2 yr old mostly drinks out of a cup but in the car always a sippy if its a messy drink always a sippy. Never any drinks in bed so thats not an issue. I will not completely throw them out till she is like 3 or 4. When they are attached like at bed time yeah that hard and won't be easy. We did that with my son he was like 2 1/2 when we took it away at night so with my girls nevfer did that agin. He was hard!
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 4:39 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Start only giving water at nap/ bed time. It's better for teeth, not messy if it does leak and he will still have the comfort of holding it. Now DD puts it on her play stove and goes to bed just fine. lol
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 4:47 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• *she
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 4:48 PM on Aug. 23, 2010