Big boy bed...is it time?

My baby will be 20 months tomorrow (no rushing!) :)

He currently is sleeping in his crib, with the side down. Has never tried to climb out Sleeps all night and at nap time. rarely fusses but when he does lays right now and goes to sleep. The crib converts into a toddler bed, and then into a full bed. (checked, hasn't been on a recall) When do you change him to a toddler bed? Oldest never slept in his bed, so he was 3 when in his own dang bed! LOL

jellis

Asked by jellis at 4:24 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• lol my boy was 2 1/2 or 3 before he slept in a toddler bed.. soo im not sure lol
    Brittney20

Answer by Brittney20 at 4:29 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• We put our oldest in a big kid bed when she was around 18-20 months can't remember, but it was HORRIBLE...I will wait as long as i possibly can now with our current 17 month old before switching over to big kid bed...my oldest would get out of bed, refused to go to sleep, got up all night long running into our bedroom for whatever...ended up co sleeping with her for a good 2 years b/c of that...NEVER AGAIN!
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 4:35 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I have a 26 mo that is still in her crib. If last night is any indication she isn't ready for a big girl bed. She was wide awake at 1130 b/c I forgot to check for the cat. They were playing in her bed for a few hours and the giggling is what caught my attention. Wait as long as you can.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:12 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• If he isn't climbing out, you can leave him there until around 3 (watch the height recommendation on your crib). You might consider skipping the toddler bed altogether and going right to a regular bed. Saves the extra transition and I suspect your crib converts to a double? (ours did). Push it up against the wall and it will give plenty of room with little risk of falling out. One caution, we found that our crib when converted to a regular bed sat very high off the floor if you used both a mattress and a boxspring. We eliminated the boxspring and put a piece of plywood under the mattress to better distribute the weight. (We didn't have any problems with our son but my husband is a big guy and we had trouble with one of the slats falling out when we didn't have a boxspring. The plywood fixed the problem.)
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 5:25 PM on Aug. 23, 2010