What type of pain management did you use during birth?

I was induced due to pre eclampsia for my first child. I had an epidural at 5cm, and it ended in an emergency c-section. This time I'm thinking about going all natural (providing I don't need intervening)

I'm a little scared of doing a vbac but I have a great Dr who says Im a great candidate. I'm wondering if not having an epidural would just be too much.

I can remember only tiny bits of my first birth after recieving the epidural and after that I just feel like I wasn't there anymore, totally absent and out of control. I passed out and only woke up when the nurse shook me and told me to push.

Anyway, what type, if any, of pain meds did you use? How painful? All info is helpful. Thank you.

Christina2135

Asked by Christina2135 at 4:24 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I was also induced with my first and if this baby is late I will be induced again. But I didn't have a C-Section, I had her vaginally. Anyway I didn't get the epidural, I did get the one that goes in your IV I'm not sure what it's called to be honest. It DOESN'T take the pain away lol, for me it just knocked me out which was good because I needed rest and well how was I going to rest with contractions lol. It can be done, like the first poster said keeping telling yourself it can be done. When you can't take it anymore is when you are SO close to actually pushing part, plus when you push you don't feel the contractions anymore and once the babies head is out it's a breeze!

cynprz

Answer by cynprz at 12:28 PM on Aug. 24, 2010

• None..I kept repeating to myself in my head..."This is not too hard to do and I can do it and this won't take long if I go without." Over and over and over until he was born. 7 hour labor with pitocin given halfway through.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:26 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I was induced with my son and as soon as I was 3 centimeters dialated I had to get an epidural
    noahsmommy12908

Answer by noahsmommy12908 at 4:27 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• planned c section
    one shot in the spine was my pain management
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 4:28 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I got an epi after about 12 hours of hard labor, 24 hours of contractions. After 34 hours they did an ER c-sec because he was face up and NOT coming out. His chin was catching on my pelvis. With my second she was in the same position so I did and elective C-sec.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:29 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I had to have a spinal for an emergency c-section, thanks to pre-e
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 4:34 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Epidural
    DoinItMyWay

Answer by DoinItMyWay at 4:35 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• My husbands hand. I didn't get an epi for both of my births.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:37 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• For my first 3 labors I had only a shot of stadol or demoral about 1/2 hr before they were born. With my 4th I opted to not get anything at all because those didnt really do anything at all!!!
    I think the things that helped me most were the TUB, my awesome midwife, and my hubby who stayed calm and gave me the support I needed. I would never get an epi, so I knew I just needed to suck it up and deal lol Good luck and I wish you a safe delivery, remember, you CAN do it :)
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 4:47 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• my first 2 i got the epidural and i dont remember much of their births. my 3rd i did it all natural and i can remember every little bit of my labor and delivery. not to mention hoe muhc quiker i bonded with her, i am currently pregnant with #4 and planning another all natural no meds birth.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 4:48 PM on Aug. 23, 2010