How do you get your picky eater to try new foods?

My 3 year old refuses to try new things. This limits her food options to mac and cheese, chicken nuggets, pizza rolls, and that's about it. I know none of that is healthy, which is why I'm asking this question. I don't want her eating that junk anymore. She will seriously go to bed hungry before she'll put a vegetable in her mouth....or ANYTHING new. Now candy on the other hand, she WILL try new candies.

DoinItMyWay

Asked by DoinItMyWay at 4:34 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i have a no thank you bite rule. they arent allowed to day they dont like it until i see them try a bite.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 4:41 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Get a small peice and when they're not paying attention, hurry up and put it in their mouth. I'm not saying force it in.

My 19 month old will rarely voluntarily try food, yet when I sneak it into her mouth she ends up loving it and wanting more.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 4:41 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• what about starting with fresh fruits? Kids usually love them. Eliminate the unhealthy stuff one at a time. Provide a healthy assortment of foods and she will eat if hungry enough.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:42 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• my son is the same way he would rather go hungry then eat a veggie. there is no getting him to try anything new, I let him have control over his diet. He doesn't eat the dinner we eat because he will only eat a limited amount of foods and he will starve himself, there are days he does not eat all day and then I have to give in and give him something. The DR. is even at a loss. so all you can do is wait for her to want something different.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 4:46 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• You simply DO NOT OFFER ANYTHING THAT YOU DO NOT WANT HER TO EAT.

A healthy child will NOT starve their self, they can go as long as 5 days with nothing but fluids and be perfectly fine. Picky eaters are created by parents. Stop giving in, and your child will eat.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:48 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I offer her LOTS of healthy options. She literally will NOT eat them. She WILL go hungry instead. I put vegetables, a meat and maybe mashed potatoes or something like that as a meal almost every day. She MIGHT eat the meat....sometimes...and she recently decided she no longer likes mashed potatoes either. She will eat what she wants to eat off her plate, if anything at all, and then push it away and refuse the rest. There have been many nights she's gone to bed crying because she's so hungry but she still refuses to eat anything other than what I listed above.
    DoinItMyWay

Comment by DoinItMyWay (original poster) at 4:53 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• i agree with the other mommies on this.gl
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 6:34 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• And the next day (or after supper) you gave in. Teaching her that all she ever has to do to get her way is manipulate you.

Like I said before, if you offer ONLY these things, nothing else- she WILL EAT when she is truly hungry. If she knows that she will get what she wants (and she does, because you give in), then she'll hold out.
    What is scarier, is that this does not just apply to food.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:32 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• lol ok. You talk like you know me and see what goes on in my house or something. I'll just let you keep thinking you know it all, and I'll go ahead and take advice from the other moms on here. Thanks for your input~!
    DoinItMyWay

Comment by DoinItMyWay (original poster) at 8:12 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I tell them to at least try it and if they don't like it they don't have to eat it. We make a big deal about how good the food is and we show them that we eat it too and it's "yummy". They will usually go for it and at least try it. Sometimes they end up eating it all...lol. Also, even if I know they don't like something (my daughter doesn't like mashed potatoes) I still put it on their plate. I introduced them to salad around 2 I think. At first NONE of them liked it. I just kept putting it on their plate and one night, my daughter ate it ALL. And still likes salad to this day. I am also not a short order cook. If they don't like what we are having for dinner and don't want to eat, then they don't eat. They will not starve. This does mean that I do have to be pretty strict and consistant. Good luck =)
    tripletmommy806

Answer by tripletmommy806 at 11:48 AM on Aug. 24, 2010