i am feeling guilty that my 2 1/2 yr. old is the only child. the thing is we aren't sure if we want another baby. any suggestions?

chadsmom05

Asked by chadsmom05 at 10:03 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When our daughter was 2 we decided to put her in a day school program at our church. It was only two days a week and went from 8:30 to 2:30. It worked wonderfully in allowing her to interact with children her own age, make friends, learn to share, etc. Plus it game me a little break. I don't know if your daughter is already in a daycare or not, but if you're a SAHM without kids in your neighborhood, this might be an option for you. (FYI - we decided to have another child after all. My daughter is now almost 6 and we're expecting another little girl in Nov.)
    chezkris10

Answer by chezkris10 at 10:20 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I have four children and my nephew and both my nieces are only children and even at their young ages, they want a sibling because their cousins have each other. It's great! They are all each others best friend! My other thing about only children is, when we as parents are older and need to be taken care of, there is a lot of stress that goes with that. If they are an only child, they are the ONLY child to deal with and that's not fair. My grandmother went through it with her parents and then her aunt and uncle because they had no children and it was an incredible amount of stress on her. I hated it for her. She's not the only child to go through this and wish more than ever they'd had a sib. Of course, it's understandable when you can't have another child, but if you can, I think you should go for it. It will bring you more joy than you can imagine!
    masastan

Answer by masastan at 10:21 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I was an only child and I admit that I always wished that I had a sibling. I got over it though. It made me an independant, self-sufficient person! Do what is best for your family and all will be ok.
    cacnotcam

Answer by cacnotcam at 1:57 AM on Jun. 19, 2008