Anyone Make Glycerin Soap?

I've looked into making Lye Based Homemade soap. I haven't ruled that process out yet, but with the dangerousness of Lye I have been warned against it. I also know the benefits that Glycerin soap provides. Which is more appealing to me then the process, though the process is pretty exciting. With that I have been researching Glycerin recipes and haven't found anything really test worthy. I also have no idea where to buy Glycerin Soap base or Glycerin. Therefore, I'm hoping someone here on CM knows. I'm still researching through google, but in the meantime ...

Thanks Ladies.

JazzlikeMraz

Asked by JazzlikeMraz at 4:49 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I used to buy it at hobby lobby. I haven't done it in years! We used to make clear bars and hide little toys in it... I need to do that again.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:00 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I know our Hobby Lobby carries all the stuff to make glycerin soaps. The ingredients, molds, & books.Have you ever used glycerin soap yourself? If not it's a good idea to buy a small bar and try it on the inside of your elbow. Many people are allergic to it. I didn't learn I was allergic to it until I had a reaction to another product that contained glycerin. Good Luck!
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:55 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Well, for starters Glycerin can be found in the first aid department of any grocery or drug store. It is an emollient, a lubricant. Soap base can be found in any craft store. I bought 15 pounds of glycerin base at Hobby Lobby a few years ago. Glycerin soap is very simple...just grate the base melt it and add color and fragrance. I made regular bars and fancy little soaps to go in a spa kit I had made. I have a book on Soapmaking and had considered making my own soap a while back. Hell, I make everything else, so why not soap. Well, the whole Lye thing scares the crap out of me. But you can skip that too and buy regular soap base and add to it anything you want, from oatmeal to lavender flowers. Hobby Lobby, Micheal's and JoAnns all have molds, color, fragrance and base.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 4:58 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Sweet! Thanks, Ladies! I really appriciate the help!
    JazzlikeMraz

Comment by JazzlikeMraz (original poster) at 9:08 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I buy mine at hobby lobby, but most of it's of poor quality and its priced accordingly, however they do have a few better ones that are overpriced, but they run ouoften and it's in small packages. I've found nice stuff online for relitively the same pice.
    KaylaCo1188

Answer by KaylaCo1188 at 1:18 PM on Aug. 25, 2010