School fundraisers?

How do you help your kids with their school fundraisers? Do you offer to help them sell whatever it is they are selling?

onemellowmom

Asked by onemellowmom at 4:51 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• We only have one kid fund-raiser a year. We're a small Christian school so we have a lot of events that serve as our main fund raisers. The only one the kids do is still to much for my kids to handle on their own - so I do the bulk of what needs to be done. Once they're older they'll do more of it. (It only involves addressing postcards.)

For our preschool, we have 3-4 fundraisers a year - the kids did or do call a few people just to let them know they're doing a fund raiser and tell them what it is, but DH and I do most of it too - it's expected that the parents do most of it (if they choose to - it's not obligatory).

I have no problems helping my kids with their fund raisers. I know how important they are to our school, and I know that the more money that's raised means more of a discount to our tuition.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 5:50 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• We never helped sell. It was their responsibility and was a good learning experience. We did role play with them how to ask politely, etc. And we walked or drove them around a little, but just in our neighborhood. And we usually bought something too.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:55 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• I would and I'd walk around with them a few times a week to get new customers.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 4:54 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• It would depend on how actively they were trying to sell. If they are putting in a good effort, I would certainly ask my co workers also. My oldest was top cookie seller in her Girl Scout troop every year she was in it. My co workers would ask me for months when the cookies would be in. LOL
    TheNeverLady

Answer by TheNeverLady at 4:58 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• We don't do it period. Not only can't we afford it, but my neighbors are laid off and hurting worse than us. I would never want to put them in that position.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 5:07 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Our school refuses to pimp out the kids. I am proud to say as a school and a PTA we have not sold items in YEARS. I think it is a horrid way to raise funds (making kids sell crap door to door). We have a school carnival to raise money. We also have a used book sale (all books donated by school families).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:09 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• We don't do fundraisers.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 7:10 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• We don't do fundraisers like that anymore. My school has a fun run, where friends and family pledge money for each lap on the track their student runs. We raised $11,000 last year.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 10:13 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• The school has so many fundraisers. Only one we sell is the candy bars. I feel it's too much. With the economy the way it is too, it's harder to sell things.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 8:01 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• id try
    san78

Answer by san78 at 9:12 AM on Aug. 24, 2010