I want my milk back!

I started supplementing after my doctor told me to, and now I sort of wish I had kept going a little longer to see if he would have gained weight given enough time. One thing led to another, and I very rarely get DS to breastfeed and when he does he gets maybe a few drops out. I've decided I want to try and re-lactate, at least somewhat (I work from home and make all the money for my family, so full time may not be feasible for me, I will do all I can). I ordered an SNS today to get him to stay latched, since he actually still loves the boob...just not the whole NOT getting any milk part. I've also stock piled mother's milk tea, alfalfa, etc... Even if only for a few GOOD breast feedings a day, I want him getting more of MY milk again! Wish me luck ladies, and any advice you have other than the aforementioned tactics I'm using would be helpful. I have a pump also.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:51 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• dont use the pump. pt him on the boob everytime he is hungry, give him the 15 minutes or so and then give him his supplimental formula. if you bf him everytime he is hungry your body will know to produce the milk. so bf before formula and your production should go back up. good luck!
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 4:55 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Drink TONS of water and stay focused. You can do this. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 4:56 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• If you are going to pump to add to the sns nurse on one side and pump the other to take advantage of letdown and visit http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html

visit kellymom.com and visit drjacknewman.com and of course visit LLL
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 5:02 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Don't pump at all. Get him to latch and nurse as often as possible. If you're on ANY kind of hormonal birth control (Mirena, shot, pills, patch, etc.) find a non-hormonal method (Paragard, condoms, etc.) ASAP! Hormonal birth control of ANY kind CAN affect milk, even if it's low dose or it's "not supposed to" affect it. Fenugreek is also helpful. You can buy capsules at a lot of natural food stores. You can do this! Good luck!
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 6:09 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Let him latch with the SNS for every feeding (even in the middle of the night) and pump the other side (not the easiest thing to do though) to try and get a supply of milk to put in the SNS instead of formula. Also pump about 1 hour after he feeds to get some more milk for the SNS and signal to your body to make more milk. If at all possible take a weekend and have just the two of you in bed with no interruptions you topless and he can nurse whenever he wants. Fenugreek is great oatmeal helped me and lots of water. Kellymoms site is great for help to.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:29 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• please come to the breastfeeding moms group. we can help you. this is possible!!!

check out this article

and this 

kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 6:32 PM on Aug. 23, 2010