tennis lessons or soccer?

ds (kindergarten) came home with registrations for tennis lessons (once weekly/per month basis) and fall/spring soccer (registry includes both seasons, and is a team sport, not just lessons). my dh wants him to take the tennis lessons..i want him to try soccer.
i know he can try both, and drop the tennis easier (as its per-month) than dropping out of a team. he hasn't played any sports at this time.
any thoughts?

dullscissors

Asked by dullscissors at 4:57 PM on Aug. 23, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I'm thinking of signing my son up for soccer. I know he'll enjoy being on a team with other kids rather than learning something on his own. I would like him to learn being a good sport and teamwork before anything else really. When he gets a little older, he can do individual sports and enjoy the personal victory in a good manner.
    kksmomma1019

Answer by kksmomma1019 at 5:06 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• Soccer.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 7:03 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• 5 seems kind of young for tennis especially if he hasn't had any experience with sports. Go for the soccer.
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 1:26 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• I must say my kids have been playing soccer since they were 4 and 5 years old and they love it. It is a great experience and teaches them how to play a sport and be on a team. Usually at this age it is instructional and fun plus it will get him out running a couple times a week. Personally I also feel soccer might be a little easier at this point.

Did you ask him what he wanted to try? I usually had my children all different kinds of sports until they found the ones they liked. I know we would tell them if you join a team you have to stick it out for the whole season.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:34 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• that's what i said to my dh. he looked like he took it personally that i preferred ds start on a team-sport rather than individual. dh played tennis when he was in school, ran track, etc. and that's all good. ds can do anything he wants..i just think he needs to learn team-work early, as he is an only child.
    dullscissors

Comment by dullscissors (original poster) at 5:09 PM on Aug. 23, 2010

• im with the first reply
    san78

Answer by san78 at 9:11 AM on Aug. 24, 2010

• Why can't he be the one to choose?
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:58 AM on Aug. 24, 2010